Senior Scientist II/ Principal Research Scientist I, High-throughput Protein Production &
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Biologics Generation Group at AbbVie is seeking a highly skilled and self-motivated scientist to join a dynamic team supporting biologics drug discovery. This position will impact projects through engineering, production, and characterization of biopharmaceutical products such as monoclonal antibodies in high throughput. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience with high-throughput biologics production platforms and analytical characterization (e.g., SEC, MS). The applicant should be an enthusiastic, creative scientist who will make tangible contribution to the continuous improvement and innovation within the organization.
- Lead a team to further design and develop efficient and effective highthroughput transfection, purification, and characterization processes utilizing clarification, chromatography, membrane filtration and other innovative separation technologies for diverse protein therapeutics, including mAbs, bispecifics, fusion proteins, etc.
- Identify and solve technical problems independently, conceive and implement innovative process research ideas
- Experience with automating protein production and characterization in throughput
- Act as subject matter expert, support and contribute to implementing and improving current protein production workflows
- Serve as a biologics lead for crossfunctional teams, and contribute scientific insights into multiple projects across various therapeutic areas; recognized and sought out as an expert in protein purification within the company and externally
- Evaluate and integrate stateof-the-art technology to improve therapeutic production platforms, and demonstrate creative “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve difficult problems
- Ensure consistency and quality of technical reports from employees supervised
- Lead one or more teams, and influence areas in own discipline within department
- Provide project update, analysis and advice to crossfunctional teams and senior management
- Present original work internally across departments and at internal and external scientific conferences; may author or coauthor peer-reviewed scientific papers or patents
- Supervise a team of 4-5 scientists, evaluate team performance, and is accountable for the effective performance of team
Position will be hired based on level of education/ experience.
- PhD or MS degree in Biochemistry, Biochemical engineering or related disciplines
- 6+ (PhD) or 12+ (MS) years of experience in automation and high-throughput protein production process development
- Sound scientific understanding of current state of protein expression/separation/analytical technologies
- Ability to explore and develop new approaches to further advance innovative purification and screening technologies
- Extensive knowledge in related functional areas, such as cell culture, antibody engineering, protein chemistry and analytics
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Team player with the ability to operate in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment
- Adapt to rapid changes in project priorities and timelines
- Experience in formulation, stability, preferred
- Recognized in the scientific community through a sustained record of peer-reviewed publications and patents preferred
- Candidate must be a goal-oriented team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong can-do attitude and experience in leading or managing teams
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.