AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, Compliance will possess working knowledge of the current compliance environment and the broader business impact of compliance issues to develop and provide solution-oriented compliance guidance related to AbbVie’s compliance program at the enterprise level. Responsible for directing the development and administration of Office of Ethics & Compliance (OEC) education and training, and development and implementation of functional monitoring plan, identifying compliance risk areas and communicates such risk areas to functional management along with action plans to address risk.
- Partners with all levels of employees in Global Medical Affairs, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Clinical Development and Discovery to provide guidance on proposed business strategies and programs, identifies moderate to complex legal and regulatory issues, analyzes alternatives and works with legal and other functions, as appropriate to provide solutions to the business.
- Conducts compliance risk assessments, trend analysis and provides recommendations for compliance business activities.
- Provides moderate to complex OEC and functional policy interpretation and provides guidance on the requirements.
- Conducts moderate to complex policy and procedure reviews and updates, related to OEC policy and functional procedures ensuring clarity, applicability and compliance.
- Develops, implements, modifies, and oversees corporate and/or functional monitoring plans and any corrective actions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Analyze data captured by OEC Operations for trends and takes action, as appropriate.
- Regularly assess exceptions/deviations to determine need for functional policy, procedure, and training updates.
- Develops, delivers and updates OEC’s comprehensive training program on moderate to complex OEC and functional policies and procedures.
- Provides substantial support to both the business and Corporate Audit during a compliance audit by assisting in the fulfilment of auditors’ requests and liaising between the business and audit. Expected to evaluate and help respond to moderate to complex preliminary audit findings and recommendations, and to guide the business in preparing corrective action(s) to address moderate to complex findings and recommendations, and work with the business to ensure timely completion.
- Participates in cross functional OEC programs and collaborates regularly with OEC colleagues to resolve issues and share learnings.
- Performs role with minimum supervision from supervisor.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of AbbVie's businesses supported and knowledge of the broader business impact. Leads cross-functional teams on complex issues or projects.
- BA/BS required. CPA, Masters, JD, or equivalent work experience strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years experience with, or exposure to, business functions such as compliance, legal, regulatory affairs, government affairs, and finance.
- Must have strong leadership, analytical, communication, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of U.S. and ex-U.S. compliance laws and regulations, and experience in health care industry, strongly preferred.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns, fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.