Sr. Research Associate, Assay Development
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Analytical Sciences Department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical is currently recruiting exceptional individuals at the Senior Research Associate (SRA) level that will plan and execute bioanalytical assays as part of a Gene Therapy team. The selected candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in mammalian cell culture, qPCR and/or RT-qPCR, gene expression assays, nucleic acid, and protein extraction. The SRA will design and execute technically complex experiments to support the project, with input and guidance from their supervisor. They will provide quantitative data analysis, interpretation of results, and contribute to technical reports. Experience with assay development and qualification is needed. Candidates for SRA will be expected to be capable of greater independence and contribution, but all members are expected to interact with each other, sharing ideas, and seeking feedback from their supervisor and teammates.
- Plan and execute bioanalytical assays, analyze assay results, and present key findings.
- Execute on wide range of analytical techniques including, but not limited to, qPCR, ddPCR, cell-based assays, RNA and DNA isolation, and gel electrophoresis.
- Plan and execute experimental studies to support sample testing and development of analytical assays for biologics in development in an efficient manner to meet project goals and timelines.
- Ensure continuous and effective communication of scientific results, experimental progress, and timelines.
- Manage various laboratory equipment for proper and timely maintenance including coordinating internal/external services visits, adding equipment to monitoring systems, notifying users of instrument failures/service interruptions, and responding to excursion notifications.
- Catalogue data/reports electronically in an accessible manner for inspections.
- BS/BA or MS in a biological science discipline, with 3+ years of experience in industry.
- Hands on experience designing and executing mammalian cell culture experiments.
- Experience with qPCR and/or RT-qPCR; vector copy number or gene expression assay experience preferred.
- Experience with ELISA and nucleic acid and protein extraction is a plus.
- Strong ability to interpret and communicate experimental results.
- Research background in gene therapy, or cell therapy is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills within cross-functional environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.