Senior Research Scientist, in vivo Oncology
Position: Senior Research Scientist, in vivo Oncology
Reporting To: Assistant Director, Pharmacology
Nitto BioPharma Inc is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel RNA-based therapeutics for intractable diseases. We are currently seeking a talented, highly motivated and independent research scientist to join our pharmacology/oncology in vivo group. The successful candidate will play an essential role in developing oncology animal models, discovery of novel therapeutics, and to execute in vivo, ex vivo and in vitro studies to evaluate new drug targets, novel drug candidates and treatment modalities to address unmet medical needs. This individual will spend 70% of their time on in vivo related activities and 30% of their time on in vitro and ex vivo related activities. The qualified candidate is highly motivated, interactive, and team-oriented individual with the ability to work independently and in a multi-functional team environment.
Major Job Functions and Responsibilities
· Perform cell culture of adherent and suspension cell lines for in vivo and in vitro use
· Conduct in vivo studies to evaluate targets, efficacy and assess in vivo target engagement, PK/PD relationships
· Develop novel animal models, including xenograft, syngeneic, genetically engineered mouse (GEM), patient-derived xenograft (PDX) and humanized mouse tumor models, to support oncology projects, validate therapeutic targets and screen/profile drug candidates
· Conduct in vitro assays including RNA extraction & qRT-PCR, ELISA, Western blot, Cytokine, Flow cytometry and others
· Identify and validate novel drug targets using different approaches
· Independently plan, design, and execute in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo studies; analyze and interpret the data to support oncology drug discovery and development efforts
· Prepare technical and regulatory reports to support project reviews, publications and IND submissions
· Train junior scientists/research associates
Education and/or Experience
· PhD with 2-3 yrs or MS with 5-10 yrs, BS with10-15 yrs industry and/or academia experience in cancer biology, immunology, cell and molecular biology or related field in Oncology research
· Expertise in in vivo pharmacology and experience with oncology animal models, skills with animal surgeries are desired
· Hands on in vivo skills (dosing, tissue/blood collection, surgery)
· Expertise in in vitro/ex vivo assays including qPCR, MSD/ELISA, RNAseq is a plus
· Strong motivation, independence, and ability to think critically and creatively to solve problems
· Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
· Proven interpersonal and written/oral communication skills
· Ability to work well in collaborative fast-paced team environment
· RNA drug discovery Experience is a plus
***Level of the position is flexible and commensurate based on candidate’s experience
Physical Job Requirements:
Office/Lab environment. Lifting to 20 pounds may be required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. They are required to stand, walk or sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
Disclaimer: This job description reflects management's assignment of essential job duties; and nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Company DescriptionNitto BioPharma, Inc. is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company located in San Diego focused on the discovery and development of novel RNA-based therapeutics for intractable diseases. Nitto BioPharma offers unique RNA drug and its delivery solutions by designing novel biodegradable drug delivery systems with the ability to target specific cells and efficiently deliver the cargo into the cells. Clinical assets include two Phase 2 clinical programs, a first-in-class drug for the treatment of liver fibrosis (with Bristol-Myers Squibb), and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, as well as a Phase 1 oncology program to treat non-small cell lung cancer.
Nitto BioPharma's mission is to develop and deliver innovative life-transforming therapies for patients with unmet medical needs. Leveraging the long-standing success and track record of Nitto Denko Corporation (Nitto), Nitto BioPharma has created a new and efficient business unit that allows pharmaceutical products to be brought to market at a fast pace. Our long-term vision and unparalleled, multi-disciplinary team of researchers from all over the globe make Nitto BioPharma a vibrant and exciting work environment.
Nitto BioPharma is a key asset of Nitto. Since its establishment in 1918, Nitto has created over 13,500 products based on its core technologies and has contributed to customers' value creation with innovative ideas. The core of Nitto's life science business consists of contract manufacturing and drug discovery.