We are currently searching for a Biological Scientist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as a technologist providing state-of-the-art molecular analyses in transfusion transmitted disease.
- Perform accessioning, specimen processing and test performance of moderate to high complexity tests.
- Receive and process reagents and kits into inventory.
- Perform DNA/RNA purification and quantitation, and real-time PCR.
- Independently analyze and discuss the interpretation, reliability, and validity of test data.
- Use a wide variety of laboratory information systems, statistical methods, and computer programs to collect, organize, and analyze data for reporting of verified results.
- Follow the laboratory established policies and procedures when test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct problem or notify staff; document all corrective actions taken.
- Communicate and consult with pertinent medical personnel regarding collection procedures; troubleshoot any problems with the specimen or documentation.
- Troubleshoot problems with equipment such as thermocyclers (eg., GeneAmp PCRSystem, ABI 7500 Fast Real-Time PCR System, and QIASymphony, QIAgility instruments).
- Comply with all aspects of laboratory safety, quality assurance and quality improvement QCQAQI policies and procedures.
- Document all quality assurance activities, instrument calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Organize daily workload based on priorities, rotation schedule and needs of the laboratory and patients.
- Enter requests to order reagents and supplies required for the specialty testing for equipment and supply contracts.
- Attend weekly TTV staff meetings or reviews minutes of the meeting if unable to attend.
- Attend TTV, DTM and NIH in-services and continuing education activities as workload permits to maintain relevant knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ensure compliance with accrediting and inspections agency requirements, participating in activities associated with the laboratory accreditation process.
- Perform data retrieval and entry as required using multiple IT systems.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Life Sciences, or a related discipline.
- Minimum (4) four years related experience.
- MT/CLS certification (ASCP/NCA or equivalent).
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines for molecular testing.
- Strong knowledge of proper laboratory techniques, disposal methods and safety procedures.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Proficient in the utilization of MS Office Suite
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.