Regional Lead, Global Patient Advocacy and Engagement
BioMarin’s Product Portfolio Development (PPD) group is responsible for BioMarin’s corporate and R&D governance, business operating model (core teams and sub-teams) and portfolio strategy. PPD integrates overall product strategy and ensures planning and timely execution to inform decision making and development of therapies and life cycle strategies at BioMarin.
Global Patient Advocacy and Engagement (GPAE) is a strategic function within BioMarin PPD that works with patients, caregivers, and disease-specific non-profit patient advocacy groups throughout the life cycle to advance important therapies for unmet medical needs. The GPAE group at BioMarin integrates BioMarin internal patient advocacy efforts, develops global, prospective patient advocacy plans for each disease area, partners with external advocacy groups to advance mutual goals in the patient ecosystem such as education, access and awareness, and supports project and study patient recruitment and retention activities.
The GPAE regional lead is responsible for building the long-term engagement with patient advocacy groups and the broader community within the North America region and creating a collaboration favorable to both patients and BioMarin’s interests.
- Establish a detailed understanding of the North America community of interest
- Develop an understanding of the community perspective and insights into their disease, unmet needs and their preferences for current and future treatments
- Create a collaborative relationship with the community from which BioMarin and the patient community can mutually benefit
- Ensure patient insights and perspectives are made available and shared to relevant internal stakeholders at BioMarin
- Lead a strategic, systematic and coordinated engagement with Patient Advocacy Groups (PAGs) and the patient community through alignment between functional and local teams
Success in the position will require the individual to:
- Communicate strategically to all levels of the organization, ensuring all employees understand their roles in achieving success
- Execute projects on time and within budget
- Foster strong working relationships
- Model a culture of proactive goal setting and continuous self-improvement
- Demonstrate an ability to empower employees by giving latitude, offering encouragement, and expressing confidence
The individual should:
- Demonstrate expertise on the changing landscape of patient inclusivity and PAG expectations of industry
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of relevant therapeutic areas and disease conditions, including disease onset, common symptoms, management, morbidity, and common treatment
- Be able to lead implementation of strategic plans and develop budgets for complex projects
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelors with 6 yrs of patient advocacy work
- Masters with 4 yrs of patient advocacy work
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.