Senior Director, US Market Access Channel Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie US Market Access is responsible for securing and enabling patient access to our portfolio of products across all payer and distribution channels including Commercial health plans, PBMs, Medicare, Medicaid, VA/DoD, Employer, Health System, Pharmacy, Wholesalers and Oncology GPO’s. The USMA Strategy Group is a sub-function within USMA that is responsible to thoroughly comprehend the current and future state of the US Market Access environment through mastery of the evolving US Healthcare landscape and the Market Access Channels. This includes analyzing market trends and government regulations, identifying payer channel impact and insights, and contributing recommendations for future strategies that yield profitable, broad market access across AbbVie’s portfolio of pharmaceuticals including both in-line promoted products as well as assets under pipeline development. In addition, The Group has responsibility for effectively transferring best-in-class knowledge to stakeholders both within and outside of Abbvie with the goal of distinguishing AbbVie among healthcare organizations in its development of innovative Brand access solutions. By embracing the complexities of the US Healthcare Model, the ambition is for AbbVie to be sought as a respected partner in the transformation of healthcare to advance the care of patients and to out-perform our competitors in the pharmaceutical industry through strategically creating access for AbbVie products and go-to-market strategies by channel.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Leads USMA Channel assessment and strategy development with a 2-5 year horizon view. Provides positive leadership and productive influence across the enterprise to ensure the effective transfer of channel knowledge and ensures insights are built into company and brand strategies. Leverages relationships, data, analytics and strategic mind-set in all aspects of optimizing the channel strategies of the business. Exhibits P&L mindset. Effectively orchestrates work across internal teams and external partners including agencies, customers, MABI, payer marketing, pipeline/GMAP, field Account Management Teams, etc.
- Lead the development and understanding of USMA Channel fundamentals to extraordinary depth in order to catalyze systemic thinking and innovative access solutions across the AbbVie organization including crucial contribution to both in-line product access strategy as well as fueling our assets in pipeline development to optimize our future market access strategy
- Establish close external and internal bridges to incorporate current and future healthcare policy into a comprehensive long-term view of the future USMA Channel dynamics. Participate with internal and external stakeholders to inform/influence desired policy externally.
- Effectively lead the transference of Channel knowledge throughout the organization (e.g. Brand Teams, Payer Marketing) to enable in-line Brands to be positioned for optimum access on a per channel basis
- Ensure a consistent and predictable bridge of Channel intelligence into our pipeline development processes to build future brand relevance from the origins of development
- Consult with Business Development to inform licensing and acquisition work in light of Channel dynamics and potential opportunity
- Create customer connections in collaboration with Account Management Teams to influence their POV and to create synergy with AbbVie position on future view and approaches to the market
- Ensure US Market Access drivers are effectively transferred and incorporated into AbbVie’s early asset and pipeline development efforts to achieve alignment with access strategies
- Consult and apply systemic thinking to significant, immediate term strategic projects of critical importance to the organization
- Vision and Strategy: Leverage breadth of market access experience to provide overarching leadership and direction for payer channel vision, strategies, plans and resource investment for AbbVie stakeholders. Align and lead the charge. Encompass a “One AbbVie” mindset and perspective in all strategies.
- Leadership and Influence: Own responsibility for channel assessments and understanding and set tone and priorities for scale and scope of accountability. Champion the successful transfer of strategic insights to stakeholders. Influence and persuade across multiple external and internal constituents (stakeholders and partners). Lead and develop direct, indirect and cross-functional teams.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Work effectively with internal stakeholders, external market experts and support partners to assimilate leading insights to ensure in-line brands and pipeline assets successfully incorporate USMA Channel planning into planning, positioning and strategy.
- Action and Accountability: Establish definitive USMA Channel expertise within AbbVie. Determine appropriate recommendations for action, execution, tracking and monitoring of Marketing Plans by employing collaboration and marketing skills. Maintain focus on and consistently triangulate market dynamics, constituents’ needs, and business priorities to determine best, market-advantaged course of action by Channel.
- Analytical Approach for Impact: Formulate and adjust channel business plans and actions to achieve business objectives and goals, including financial, constituents and market results based on objective approach through analysis and segmentation of opportunities to achieve strategic access objectives for formulary penetration. Take and recommend appropriate strategic decisions and actions for the best interest of AbbVie, USMA, GMAP and brands at the varying life cycle stages including pipeline development.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced Degree/Masters in related healthcare field desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of Pharmaceutical Market Access, Healthcare or Policy experience
- Cross-functional and/or similar experiences including field sales, finance, regulatory, research & development, HEOR, Business Development and other relevant business functions
- Demonstrate high proficiency of the whole and the component parts of the Marketing skills framework: Insights, Segmentation, Positioning, Value Proposition, Business Model Innovation, Creative Development, and Investment Optimization.
- Optimistic, inquisitive, and able to drive results independently
- Strong communication skills, demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, and ability to build strong stakeholder relationships across company functions
- Knowledge of the US access, reimbursement, and pricing landscape for pharmaceutical products (both Pharmacy and Medical reimbursement). Includes awareness of commercial, Medicare, Medicaid, other government, and specialty segments.
- Experience with pharmaceutical marketing principles and practices, including a demonstrated ability to develop strategic plans, conduct and interpret market research, and understand the regulatory environment.
- Managed markets / market access experience, including experience working within non-pharma manufacture Healthcare Organizations (eg. Pharmacy (Specialty/Retail), HealthPlan, PBM, Hospital, et
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.