Portfolio Manager - R&D Discovery and Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This position reports into the R&D - Discovery & Development Sciences Business Platforms organization which closely partners with our respective business clients to design, develop, implement and support software solutions used by AbbVie’s Drug Discovery & Development Sciences business units where applicable. The primary role of the Portfolio Manager is to manage a portfolio of small to complex cross-platform software development projects in support of various R&D business functions and in collaboration with other cross functional stakeholders.
- Lead a portfolio of R&D - Discovery & Development Sciences software development projects across the entire project lifecycle (i.e. from planning to close-out) including the development of key deliverables as defined by AbbVie’s Project Management, Software Development Lifecycle Management and Financial Management process guidelines.
- Ensure that projects are effectively initiated, actively managed, and stakeholders are highly engaged and informed.
- Proactively communicate project status/risks, provide mitigation plans and resolve barriers to successful project implementation.
- Manage across projects in the portfolio to ensure alignment and consistency with the domain strategy and drive efficient utilization of project management resources on projects.
- Directly interface with key stakeholders within the domain and across AbbVie R&D to build alignment around project objectives and ensure a harmonized end-to-end portfolio/project management approach.
- Develop strategic connections and cross-functional partnerships to advance aligned portfolio/project management best practices and ensure continuous improvement in project delivery.
- Represent domain leadership in cross-functional portfolio management-related initiatives to drive integration strategies, processes and standards.
- Provide proactive mentorship to project managers and build project management competency in key positions across the domain.
- Work with domain leadership to strengthen consistency in project management excellence and build a culture of results measurement across the domain Portfolio Management team.
- Lead efforts to communicate progress of key projects to the greater R&D Business Platforms portfolio governance committee.
- Bachelor degree in Business, Computer Science or related discipline: At least 9 yrs experience in project management, business systems analysis, software development or deployment, with a minimum of 6 years experience managing projects.
- Total Combined Experience: 10-13 years
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.