Business Manager/ Associate Director, Discovery Business Operations
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This position is responsible for facilitating strategic planning and execution within an R&D therapeutic area. Provides individual leadership and consultation for complex transformational business programs in close collaboration with the therapeutic area head and the respective leadership team. Directly supports therapeutic area head with development, communication and execution of strategic business programs and executive projects to advance the business. Communicate/present key information to senior leadership within area of responsibility.
Responsible for the identification, planning and implementation of activities and projects aligned with and enable the achievement of departmental strategies, goals, and objectives across multiple sites. Primarily accountable to ensure therapeutic area operates within the current financial plan/update budget including headcount. Strategically project and manage financial plan/update budget and headcount across the therapeutic area in collaboration with the organizational leader, department and R&D finance utilizing knowledge of current and future business environment. Globally influences and strategically manages linkages across the businesses and understands the impact of business decisions and solutions.
- Facilitates the creation of the Business Strategy through a futuristic perspective, and defines the mission, strategic imperatives, and goals in partnership with the respective R&D leadership team. Manages the execution and measurement of the strategy.
- Provide forward looking portfolio and resource analyses. Accountable for short- and long-term forecasting of financial and headcount resource needs in various scenarios. Partner with therapeutic area head in the financial planning process for future initiatives and projects, forecasting and roll-up. Facilitate discussions with therapeutic area head for Long Range Plan, yearly budget cycles and monthly forecasting updates based on latest best estimate.
- Provide leadership and develop strategic recommendations to departments to ensure area operates within the current financial plan/update budget.
- Analyzes and identifies budget favorability/ unfavourability and provides recommendations for strategy with a Discovery-wide perspective.
- Partner with TA VPs to financially plan upcoming initiatives and projects. Partners with R&D finance to address all questions and requests.
- Adheres to all corporate financial guidelines, ethics and compliance standards. Leads cross departmental and cross-functional efforts to achieve functional strategies and goals.
- Effectively frames complex issues for decision-makers and peers. Prepares and delivers effective management presentations to R&D leadership team. Draws upon personal knowledge of business processes, global regulations, organizational improvement methods, and communication mechanisms to propose and design innovative organizational improvements.
- Coordinate and lead strategic analyses and exercises Discovery-wide and for the therapeutic area head. Investigates pain points and proposes solutions for implementation. Helps to define the problem, assemble the team, perform the necessary strategic analysis, and recommend actions to the senior leaders.
- Acts with demonstrated ability to analyze complex change management issues and opportunities, foster innovation and the development of creative mechanisms for solving business issues, and plan/oversee effective implementation of projects and/or initiatives.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- PhD or equivalent & 4-10+ years, MS or equivalent & 6-12+ years, or BS & 8-14+ years postdoc/industry experience, including 7+ years of leadership responsibility, is required. Advanced degree in related scientific field preferred (e.g., MS or Ph.D. in Oncology, Chemistry, etc.). MBA or Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- 3-6+ years of work experience in the area supported (e.g. Discovery, Development) and 3-6+ years in pharmaceutical, healthcare or regulated industry required.
- Strong management skills with proven effective leadership abilities. Demonstrated ability to lead multi-divisional and multi-functional teams with global aspects.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience in managing functional budgets and developing budget forecasts
- Strong business acumen and effective negotiation skills
- Experience working in a complex and matrix environment
- Demonstrated ability to craft compelling business cases that prompt appropriate action.
- Proven track record of developing and executing change management strategies or successful project planning and management of highly complex business and technology initiatives is preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.