Grants and Contracts Administrator- Temporary (Remote)
The Gladstone Institutes is seeking an experienced Grants and Contracts Administrator to join its Grants and Contracts Department on a temporary, full-time basis through December 2021 . This position is fully remote, working West Coast business hours. This position will support Gladstone scientists and other members of the Grants and Contracts Department in all aspects of research administration.
The successful candidate will have an expert command of the Workday Financials system, in particular the Education & Grants focus area. Workday Payroll/HR experience is also a plus. They will also be well-versed in post-award best practices, including a familiarity with the policies and cost principles of NIH and other federal sponsors.
This position will:
- Assist in identifying and resolving billing and award cost processing issues in Workday, within the context of sponsor policy.
- Assess and mitigate compliance and audit risks;
- Ensure timely set-up of awards in Gladstone's financial systems;
- Maintain grant/contract records in compliance with institute and sponsor policies;
- Negotiate acceptable award terms;
- Process non-competing continuations, progress reports, supplements, subawards, research agreements, prior approval requests, no-cost extensions and all other award and agreement modifications as needed;
- Monitor project expenditures for compliance with applicable policy;
- Monitor spending against awards to ensure that projects are on-budget;
- Monitor overall laboratory expense, forecast investigator financial position given spending and staffing patterns, and work with investigators to identify remedial options, alternatives, and strategies, as appropriate;
- Maintain overall compliance with institute policies and procedures, sponsor requirements, terms and conditions, and federal regulations;
- Serve as a source of information on fiscal policies and procedures including federal funding regulations, and become an expert in specific policy areas according to the unique composition of each investigator's portfolio;
- Prepare payroll and effort adjustments and cost transfers as appropriate;
- Process award closeout, including final financial reports;
- Perform ongoing subrecipient monitoring and review incoming and outgoing subcontract invoicing for compliance with applicable award terms, policy, and regulation;
- Work with investigators and research staff to develop grant budgets and proposals, ensuring all proposal components conform to sponsor regulations and requirements;
- Submit research proposals to sponsors after obtaining all necessary institutional approvals;
- Work with investigators to identify potential funding sources;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 1-3 years of Workday Financials experience required; Workday Payroll/HR experience additionally preferred.
- 1-3 years of NIH grants management experience. Experience with other sponsors who support biomedical research (DOD/USAMRAA, NSF, CIRM) a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail, outstanding customer service and impeccable communication skills are required for this position.
- The ability to manage a high volume of work and competing deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment.
- Comfort working remotely and using tools to facilitate remote work, e.g., Zoom, Slack.
- Demonstrated pre-and post-award financial management experience, including proposal development and post-award management.
- Effective analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, with particular regard to Excel formulas.
- Experience using electronic pre- and post-award systems such as Grants.gov Workspace, NIH ASSIST, and NSF Fastlane/Research.gov.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.