Senior Project Manager/Associate Director, Project Manager, R&D Project Management
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
At CSL our drug development portfolio is growing significantly. Our R&D Project Management Leaders are committed to developing Project Management talent. This gives us the flexibility to consider candidates qualified for either Senior PM or Associate Director level roles.
- Responsible for leading the successful, operational delivery of global, cross-functional projects of strategic importance to CSL’s product portfolio. Responsible for managing initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and closure of projects at the project or program level.
- Expected to work closely with other team members to provide direct input to the cross-functional development of a global project strategy. Will be expected to possess some level of strategic agility (have some perspective, ability to contribute to competitive strategies and see the “bigger picture”).
· Expected to demonstrate leadership and be an active participant at associated team meetings. Also, must demonstrate clear leadership growth potential through mentoring of more junior team members, building strong relationships with team members and functional stakeholders, forecasting appropriate functional resources for the project, and identifying resource gaps. Will be responsible for efficient and effective information management having strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Will be responsible for directly or indirectly overseeing the collaboration activities with external partners in the integration of services, technologies, and capabilities to ensure delivery of the project and/or program (where relevant) and potentially managing the relationship.
· Provides project management expertise and support for manufacturing/commercial/licensing/partnering/intellectual property activities related to the projects and/or program. Will need to ensure directly, or through oversight of staff, that contractual terms are adhered to.
· Responsible for providing critical inputs into the business planning process for the projects or program (if applicable). Key project activities and costs are expected to be estimated, tracked and managed for each project in their domain to support R&D and Manufacturing executives in planning and prioritizing resources and projects.
· Group of related projects managed together to obtain specific benefits that would likely not occur if these were managed individually.
· A collection of projects or programs grouped together to facilitate effective management of efforts to meet strategic business objectives. These projects or programs are not necessarily interdependent or directly related.
· Will be expected to participate in the learning and development of junior Project Management staff and provide mentoring, and as appropriate, may manage junior Project Management staff. May have a small number of direct reports from within Project Management.
· Will be expected to actively represent the Project Management Department and/or lead cross-functional change projects.
· Must be able to lead cross-functional teams and/or PM colleagues through change.
· Will actively support and role model expected behaviors and practices rolled out by the Project Management Leadership Team (PMLT) designed to improve the performance of the team (project and global R&D Project Management group).
· Expected to actively participate and may lead the implementation of new processes and process improvement initiatives designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Project Management Department.
Professional / Discipline Leadership
· Expected to demonstrate continued personal growth and development in Leadership, Project Management and R&D Product Development.
· Required to demonstrate and model the expected behaviors and practices of the Global R&D Project Management group.
· Contribute to the advancement of the discipline of Project Management in R&D Product Development by representing CSL at external scientific and professional meetings or associations (when appropriate).
Role that this position reports to:
Senior Director or Director, Global R&D Project Management.
Role/s that report to this position:
May have Project Managers (Project Manager, Senior Project Manager and/or Project Coordinator reporting directly to this role
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. The Associate Director, R&D Project Management is responsible for overseeing and managing the successful delivery of global, cross-functional projects of strategic importance to CSL’s product portfolio. Oversee the initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and closure of projects at the project or program level:
· Project initiation- Responsible for the collaboration with project sponsors and stakeholders to ensure that project or program requirements and constraints are fully developed and documented. Will secure appropriate cross-functional resources to proceed to planning phase.
· Project planning- Responsible for ensuring that plans are developed to measure progress and that all stakeholders are aware of the status of the projects. Responsible for the preparation and management of annual project or program budgets, long range financial projections, project timelines, project scope documents and all other project documentation.
· Project execution- Responsible for overseeing and leading cross-functional project teams. Ensure that the project/program deliverables are achieved, issues identified, managed, and resolved. Responsible for identifying, managing, and documenting project and/or program risks.
· Project monitoring and control- Responsible for monitoring the project/program/portfolio progress against timelines, budget and quality requirements of the project. Responsible for developing corrective actions plans and/or leading re-planning efforts to eliminate variances. Provide routine status updates via formal and informal channels (e.g., monthly reports, project review reports, ad hoc reports). May be expected to present at all levels of project review meetings. Responsible for the preparation and consolidation of material for key project review meetings.
· Project closeout- Ensure that the project and/or program is properly closed out. Also, will ensure that project documentation is archived and the lessons learned process is performed. Responsible for leading the lessons learned process, broadly sharing learnings, and establishing new ways of working from those learnings.
2. May provide direct input and may lead the development of the project and or program strategy.
3. Will play a key leadership role on the Project Team and will represent the Project Team and be an active participant at associated team meetings.
4. May be responsible or accountable for overseeing the preparation and management of legal and financial agreements and collaboration activities with external partners in the integration of services, technologies, and capabilities to ensure delivery of project (where relevant).
Expected to manage and/or oversee activities relating to monitoring of competitive landscape, intellectual property surveillance and project information management.
Responsible for assisting with manufacturing/commercial/licensing/partnering /intellectual property activities related to the project and/or program (where relevant).
Will need to ensure contractual terms are adhered to.
5. Responsible for providing critical inputs into the business planning process including estimating, tracking and managing key project activities and costs for each assigned project and/or cost center to support Company executives in planning and prioritizing resources. May also be responsible for overseeing the reconciliation and processing of project invoices against budget (where applicable).
6. Expected to provide mentoring and participate in the learning and development of junior Project Management staff.
May be involved or be expected to manage junior Project Management staff.
For those who have direct reports will be expected to be involved in the setting of workplan objectives and establish development plans for his/her direct reports.
Expected to actively support and role model expected behaviors and practices as defined by our company values and our TA and R&D Project Operating Models.
7. Expected to participate and may lead process improvement initiatives designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Project Management Department or the R&D division. May also be expected to represent the Project Management Department on cross-functional change projects.
8. Demonstrate continued personal growth and development in Leadership, Project Management and R&D Product Development by:
· Being willing to participate in internal and/or external training programs.
· Contributing to the advancement of the discipline of Project Management in R&D Product Development by representing CSL at external scientific and professional meetings or associations (when required).
· Contributing to the development of other Project Management staff.
9. Accountable for defining and effectively & efficiently managing project scope (project definition), budget, schedules (timelines, critical path, scenarios for best, base, and worse case delivery), risks, project sensitivities in support of project delivery to optimally meet business needs.
Position Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
Required: A university degree in Science, Allied Health or Engineering.
Preferred: An advanced degree (MSc, PhD) in Science, Allied Health or Engineering, PMP Certification, Masters of Business Administration (MBA) or equivalent.
Preferred: PMP certification
· Associate Director, R&D PM will require 8+ years of experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry (or where relevant a biomedical research organization).
· At least five years’ experience in managing projects, including those with complex technical, geographic, and/or regulatory elements.
· In-depth knowledge in the drug development and manufacturing processes for pharmaceuticals (CMC, non-clinical, clinical, Regulatory Affairs).
Preferred experience in late stage drug development and submission/launch planning.
· Has demonstrated project management expertise in global, cross-functional project teams in a matrix environment.
· Has been involved and/or demonstrated experience in leading systems improvements and change initiatives.
· Demonstrated experience in contributing to strategic planning and decision analysis.
· Has expertise in all phases of Project Management, Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitor/Control, and Closeout.
· Demonstrated experience in developing, managing and controlling cross-functional project budgets, timelines and scope documents.
· Demonstrated experience in leading cross-functional teams and delivering projects to meet business objectives on time, within budget and with quality.
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project
· Proficient in the use of project management methodologies, process and respective tools (e.g. Risk management, root cause analysis, etc.).
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
· Therapeutic or platform/technology-specific knowledge in the areas of hematology, coagulation/thrombosis, immunology, neurology, pulmonary, cardiovascular/metabolic disease, transplant, gene therapy or other relevant scientific expertise deemed critical for the role.
· Experience in negotiating, preparing and managing legal agreements.
· Experience in preparation of patent filings and developing intellectual property strategies.
-Application of Project Management tools and methodologies to optimize team planning, performance and delivery.
-Possesses some level of strategic agility (has the ability to see ahead clearly, sees the ‘big picture’).
-Has business acumen (is knowledgeable on how the business works).
-Demonstrates the ability to make good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
-Has organizational agility. Is knowledgeable about how the organization works. Is adept at getting things done both through formal and informal channels. Understands the culture of organizations.
-Strong written and verbal communication skills.
-Good presentation skills
-Has the ability to make decisions in a timely manner, occasionally with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure.
-Knows how to develop his/her direct reports and others. Is a people builder.
-Has the ability to direct people effectively by establishing clear direction, distributing the workload appropriately and lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner.
Energy and Drive
-Has the ability to push self and others for results. Can be depended on to exceed goals successfully.
-Deals with 'problem' team members or direct reports firmly and in a timely manner, is able to make difficult decisions when all other efforts fail. Can deal effectively with troublemakers.
-Exhibits managerial courage: Will not hold back anything that needs to be said; will provide feedback to others; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
Always with professionalism and respect.
-Personal and Interpersonal
-Is customer focused.
-Demonstrates integrity and is trusted. Is able to keep confidences, admits mistakes and does not misrepresent self for personal gain.
-Has interpersonal savvy. Can relate to all kinds of people. Builds effective and constructive relationships. Knows how and when to use diplomacy and tact.
-Can comfortably diffuse high tension situations.
-Is able to motivate others.
-Is a skillful negotiator. Can settle differences with minimal noise, can win concessions without damaging relationships.
-Can build effective teams.
-Has cross-cultural agility. Know how to work the local culture. Engages country locals in dialogue about how to get things done. Will advocate with the home office for a locally driven initiative.
· Senior Management: Functional Senior Vice Presidents and Vice Presidents, Manufacturing Site Heads, Project Management Leadership Team (PMLT).
· Project Team members: Representatives from R&D (including Research, Product Development, Non-Clinical, Clinical, Regulatory Affairs,), Manufacturing, Commercial Operations, Commercial Development, Quality, and Logistics.
· Other: Intellectual Property, Legal, Finance, Human Resources, Public Affairs, Project Management staff.
· Alliance partners and external collaborators.
· Contract Organizations.
· Vendors (as appropriate).
Some domestic and international travel may be required as dictated by the needs of the global project team or Project Management Department. Total travel is not expected to exceed 20%.