Senior Network Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Work collaboratively with technology and business groups to conceive, design, engineer, and implement data, software, and technology solutions that solve significant scientific or business problems. Investigate, identify, and implement state-of-the-art technology platforms that drive productivity and efficiency gains in own function and throughout multiple business areas. Contribute to advancement of technology in area of expertise. Develop productive collaborations and communications with other groups across multiple disciplines. Technology Engineers will be aligned to a specific area: Information, Software, Data, or Infrastructure. This role will be focused on infrastructure reporting into the network engineering team.
•Conceive, design, engineer, and implement data, software, or technology solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; Routinely demonstrate initiative and creativity in developing technology solutions.
•Serve as technical expert or lead projects/programs and technical staff to develop, test and implement significant new products, or operational improvements or devise new approaches to problems at the division/business unit.
•Analyzes and resolves technical problems using analytical problem solving methods/techniques and associated tools/devices.
•Contribute to advancement of own function by studying state-of-the-art tools, techniques, and computing equipment; participate in educational opportunities and professional organizations.
•Demonstrate high proficiency across a wide range of technologies and platforms related to software design and development, programming languages, data integration, data warehousing, data analysis and visualization tools, data storage, network connectivity, and virtualization/cloud environments.
•Highly autonomous and productive in performing activities, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor. Accountable for total project scope, budget, completion within budget constraints and scheduled completion date. Accountable for successful and timely completion of all tasks/projects under direct and matrix control.
•May initiate new areas of investigation that are meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a scientific or business activity.
•Provides technical leadership and mentors and consults with less experienced staff in in planning, methods, procedures, standards and best practices.
•Maintains relationships with affiliates, subsidiaries, and vendors in accordance with AbbVie Values, Vendor Management Office, and Purchasing to further the mission, vision and goals of the organization.
•Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable corporate and divisional policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security, and the software development lifecycle.
•Bachelor’s degree with 6 years experience; Master’s degree with 5 years experience; or PhD
•Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own discipline
•Proven implementation of creative technology solutions that advanced the business
•Excellent written and oral English communication skills
• Design experience for large global scale enterprise WAN, LAN, WLAN, firewalls, load balancing and cloud communications for 10,000+ users
• Defines, plans and designs innovative enterprise Network infrastructure solutions
• Requires demonstrated ability to administer layer 3 and layer 2 switching, HSRP, EIGRP, BGP, port-channels, SIP, QoS and LAN/WAN standards
• Data center infrastructure implementation including Cisco 3-tier and spine-leaf designs
• Requires experience with highly complex routing scenarios and redundancy
• Requires SD-WAN experience from a design and engineering perspective, preferably Cisco/Viptela
• Possess a working understanding of cloud designs and architectures; prefer AWS and Azure
• Requires expertise in switching and routing configuration on the Cisco platforms
• Requires experience with Wi-Fi design and implementation in an enterprise environment, with a preference of Cisco controllers and APs
• Experience with load balancing (F5 GTM/LTM, Citrix Netscaler, cloud native) and WAN optimization (Riverbed, Silverpeak) preferred
• Experience with one or more network automation tools and/or programming languages
• Consistently deliver projects in a timely manner. Perform routine and complex tasks competently and independently and generate reliable and consistent results
• Effectively organize and present project objectives and progress
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.