Director, Financial Audit
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director of Financial Audit has the primary function to plan, direct, and manage financial and operational internal audits globally for Company’s manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and administration sites in the US and internationally, and reporting results of these audits to senior management.
The position is a primary resource for consultation and support regarding matters of policy interpretation, internal controls, asset security and financial allegations of noncompliance with the Code of Business Conduct. Another integral function of the Director is to continually recruit high potential accounting and finance professionals, generally CPAs from outside the company. The Director trains, develops and evaluates these professionals and indoctrinates them into the organization. Through mentorship and active career counseling, the Director regularly interfaces with operating management and helps place these professionals in finance and accounting positions throughout the worldwide organization.
- Assessing risk, and based upon risk assessment results, planning, scheduling, and staffing individual audits in alignment with the leadership of IT Audit and Compliance Audit.
- Determine the adequacy of the systems of internal control. Review and assess the soundness, adequacy and application of accounting, financial, operating and sales and marketing compliance controls and the integrity of accounting records.
- Develop and direct execution of audit procedures to assess compliance with established corporate and Division policies, plans, procedures, and approvals, including special emphasis on those policies designed to assure compliance with certain business-related and governmental regulations.
- Periodic travel to the Company’s worldwide locations is expected to direct internal audit engagements, as well as to assess and react to urgent situations as necessary.
- Continually interface with senior leaders to maintain knowledge of changes in the business and emerging risks which could impact the audit approach.
- Work with Partners and Managers of external audit firm’s home office and worldwide offices to plan and define the scope of the financial audits to be undertaken. Coordinate internal audit efforts with those of external auditors.
- Continually recruit, train, develop and place into the worldwide organization, high potential finance and accounting professionals.
- Supervisory / Management responsibilities for a team of approximately 16.
- The Director, Internal Audit is accountable both administratively and functionally to the Vice President, Internal Audit. The Vice President, in turn reports administratively to the Chief Financial Officer and functionally to the Audit Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree, with a concentration in accounting, from a four-year college or university.
- A graduate degree is desirable.
- Strongly desirable that the incumbent has previously qualified as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- 10+ years of related work experience. Part of the experience would have been obtained from employment with a major Public Accounting firm and/or as a member of an internal audit staff performing financial and operational audits; or a combination of these prerequisites. The balance of the work experience should be in financial management, operational management controllership activities. Previous management experience is required.
- Sound background and understanding of both domestic and international operations, including prior financial/operation leadership experience.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to foreign business practices and diverse cultures, including extensive first-hand experience interacting with management styles and methods in multiple countries.
- Strong familiarity with financial and operational auditing procedures.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.