Associate Director, Category Management
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
At AbbVie, the Purchasing and Supplier Management (PSM) organization partners with our internal business functions to source an uninterrupted supply of high quality, goods and services that improve healthcare and our patients’ lives. We drive innovation for our patients by increasing agility and speed to market, managing quality and compliance while mitigating risks and reducing costs. As an Associate Director Category Management, you will play a meaningful role within Purchasing & Supplier Management (PSM) and at AbbVie. You will identify productivity opportunities through data analysis and insights while seeking Enterprise efficiencies with critical suppliers for AbbVie's Research & Development function. You will deliver maximum value with strategic category management as measured through risk mitigation and cost savings. How will you succeed?
As a people leader, you will be responsible for:
- Executing sourcing strategies and projects that represent an aggregate annual spend >$150 million.
- Becoming trusted advisors to business partners by gaining in-depth, subject matter expertise of their needs and spend vertical(s).
- Networking and establishing diverse relationships both internally and externally to take a skilled approach in negotiations. Extensively preparing and applying purchasing discipline throughout the process.
- Knowing the audience and adapting information through clear communication plans including succinct executive summaries and persuasive proposals.
- Properly converting the negotiated deals to performance based, legally sound contracts that serve as a guide for ongoing supplier management and program sustainability.
- Demonstrating exceptional analytical abilities to collect market intelligence and necessary data points that will generate actionable insights.
- Introducing disruptive ideas, including digital and technology-based solutions, to accelerate business opportunities and operational agility.
- Managing and resolving conflict constructively by demonstrating AbbVie leadership behaviors and ongoing personal and people development.
- Timely execution of established sourcing processes for all projects with consideration for compliance and standards.
- Acting with integrity and following appropriate AbbVie policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering, Chemistry/Biology or like degree. Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM)-desired.
- 12 years of total combined minimum experience required.
- Required experiences: Recognized as Sourcing Authority, Project Management, Conflict Resolution, Seasoned Negotiator, Supply Chain Management, Production Planning, Value Engineering, Cost Analysis, Financial Analysis, Quality Systems and Documentation, Regulatory Issues, Compliance, Contracting Experience, Commercial and Construction Law, Technical Experience. Computer Applications. Supervision of Matrix Organization, Strong Communication/Persuasion, Presentation and Interpersonal Skills.
- Ability to assemble and lead high performance teams to arrive at fact based sourcing decisions in a timely manner. Emphasis is placed on ability to lead teams through the difficult sourcing process and keep members focused on a fact-based conclusion without defaulting to a compromise position.
- Demonstrates the ability to plan, execute and measure successful project implementations throughout the entire enterprise.
- Displays the capabilities of project management by formulating complex project objectives and breaking them down to actionable tasks. Manages to key milestone dates is critical to ensure maximum savings impact on an annual basis.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.