Senior Director, Development Sciences Data & Digital Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Senior Director will lead a new, centralized Data & Digital Strategy CORE organization within Development Sciences responsible for the development, implementation and on-going stewardship of a comprehensive data and digital strategy for Development Sciences. He/she will lead a team of scientists and subject matter experts who will establish and maintain a data and systems architecture that ensures Dev Sci data is findable, accessible and machine readable to enable knowledge management, advanced data analytics and predictive modelling. The team will partner with Information Research (IR) to evaluate and implement new data systems and/or optimize existing systems to enable the seamless capture, retrieval and connection of Dev Sci data. The team will work closely with Dev Sci functional subject matter experts (SMEs) and IR to: build out electronic workflows in core Dev Sci enterprise data systems; evolve the relevant Dev Sci data models and ontologies as knowledge management needs change and support project or functional teams in the assembly of large integrated data sets to answer key scientific questions. In addition, the Senior Director will manage the annual Dev Sci IT capital and expense budget and long-range plan funding in alignment with cross-functional data & digital strategy priorities and functional priorities.
- Lead a centralized team of direct reports and matrixed resources responsible for establishing and maintaining a robust Dev Sci data architecture that spans across the Dev Sci CMC, Biological Sciences and Clinical Drug Supply Management functions. The data architecture must ensure the capture, retrieval and connectivity of critical data and metadata associated with core Dev Sci workflows in a manner that enables broad reusability & machine readability
- Partner with Information Research (IR) and Dev Sci subject matter experts to identify and implement or optimize Dev Sci data systems to enable the data architecture and streamlined electronic workflows
- Plan and execute cross-functional use cases that inform the Data & Digital strategy and drive continued evolution of the data architecture & data systems
- Partner with Dev Sci scientists and data scientists in IR to create and implement data analytics and modelling tools to enable data visualization and predictive modelling
- Ensure an industry leading Data & Digital strategy through continuous internal and external benchmarking. Anticipate changes to the environment and adjust the strategy as necessary.
- Influence Dev Sci and functional leadership regarding proposed strategies and investments to advance the Dev Sci Digital Transformation in alignment with broader R&D Convergence efforts and Discovery & Operations partner strategies
- Communicate the vision and progress of the Digital Transformation across the Dev Sci organization and to relevant stakeholders outside of Dev Sci to drive a culture of data sharing and data-driven decision making
- Develop data systems and data management practices that are consistent with relevant data integrity standards and AbbVie quality and regulatory policies
- Responsible for leadership and technical development of a diverse group of scientists and subject matter experts working to advance the Digital Transformation. Mentors and develops direct reports and drives enhancements in relevant digital skills across Dev Sci staff to support full utilization of available data management and digital tools
- Manage the annual Dev Sci IT capital and expense budget and long-range plan funding in alignment with the cross-functional data & digital strategy priorities and functional priorities
- Ph.D. degree in a life science or science-based informatics with typically 14+ years, MS with typically 20+ years, or BS with typically 22+ years postdoc/industry experience.
- Minimum of 10 years (15+ years preferred) of work experience in a relevant R&D function within the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry
- Previous experience enabling new digital or data management capabilities that are beyond incremental extensions of current capabilities or routine data system implementations is required
- Recognized team player with proven leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment. Proven performance in a matrixed environment with ability to influence and align stakeholders. Experience delivering business results through cross-functional collaboration.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact externally and internally with functional experts, data scientists and senior leaders to support business strategies
- Demonstrated ability to solve critical business and scientific problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Broad knowledge of the pharma/biopharmaceutical industry and the key data and analytics that drive decisions is desired
- Demonstrated record of driving strategic change within a large organization is desired
- Remote candidates will be considered and will be required to travel up to 25% of the time
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.