Senior Scientist I/II, Analytical R&D Early Development Team - ARD
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make substantial contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines. Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
Within Analytical R&D, the Early Development Team focuses on transitioning compounds from Discovery into Development Sciences. The group is highly cross-functional and works closely with internal Analytical R&D colleagues, as well as, with Discovery, Process Chemistry, and Pharmaceutics.
- Responsible for representing Analytical R&D on cross-functional teams for multiple Late Discovery / Early Development assets.
- Utilize a range of analytical techniques to conduct research and development studies related to small-molecule active pharmaceutical ingredients, intermediates, starting materials, and pre-clinical formulations.
- Assess stability liabilities of early development assets, including identification of degradation pathways and structural elucidation of degradation products.
- Development of stability indicating methods using a variety of analytical separation (HPLC, UHPLC) and detection modes (UV, MS, CAD) for active pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Formulate conclusions and design follow-on experiments based on multidisciplinary data.
- May initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, robust, and can be incorporated directly into a research or development program.
- Process, interpret, and visualize diverse data sets to facilitate project team decisions.
- Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional groups and departments.
- Routinely demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities and maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Translate data packages to target audiences/functions throughout project lifetime
- Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or Organic Chemistry, with typically 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS), or 0-4+ (Ph.D.) years related industry experience.
- Strong technical background in analytical chemistry, excellent analytical problem-solving skills. Capable of independently developing and troubleshooting analytical methods.
- Hands on experience with HPLC analysis and method development along with fundamental understanding and (preferred) practical working knowledge of various analytical techniques including MS, GC, ICP-OES, IC, and NMR.
- Experience in the design and use of automated lab equipment is a plus.
- Self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented individual able to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- High-quality written and oral communication skills and ability to interact effectively with interdisciplinary scientists and engineers.
*Job level will be commensurate with experience
- Advanced degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry (or Analytical Chemistry) with well-rounded background across multiple disciplines.
- Previous experience with small-molecule pharmaceutical development.
- Practical knowledge of organic structure, functional groups, chemistry, and modern chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques as applied to small-molecule analytical analysis.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Builds strong relationships with peers as well as partners outside of the Early Development Team to enable a productive cross-functional working environment.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Uses a risk-based approach for making informed and strategic decisions.
- Raises the bar, is never satisfied with the status quo and continually strives for improvement.
- Creates a learning environment and embraces the ideas of others.
- Nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Open to providing guidance and/or training to increase overall knowledgebase of team.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.