We are currently searching for a Biological Scientist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Independently perform a wide variety of procedures and techniques; performing PBMC separation from human blood samples, cell culture techniques, cell purification and stimulation; performing mouse dissection and preparation of samples for both histologic evaluation and cellular assays.
- Manage animal activities including mouse colony maintenance, inventory, and experimental procedures; ensuring that the management of studies and protocols align with the mission; maintaining inventory of stored biological samples; calibrating and operating a variety of laboratory instruments.
- Analyze, evaluate and discuss the results of each experiment with the supervisor as part of the planning process for subsequent studies and present these findings in lab meetings; preparing various buffers, stock supplies, and other reagents for use in the laboratory, cleaning and autoclaving glassware.
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of data; provide training to students and other laboratory personnel; communicate with clinical study personnel and laboratories to coordinate and facilitate research studies.
- Perform laboratory upkeep and routine maintenance of equipment; searching scientific literature for new methods and procedures that may be considered for application or modification to selected experiments; maintaining daily records of experiments and results in pen in bound laboratory notebooks; making minor modifications or adaptations to established methods, procedures, and/or techniques to solve problems.
- Meet with lab members to present updates.
- Provide technical experience needed to assist in studying the basic principles of plant and animal life.
- Independently perform a wide variety of procedures and techniques, including DNA analysis, DNA isolation, DNA purification, DNA sequencing, flow cytometry, gene cloning, protein analysis, RNA isolation, real time RT-PCR, ELISA; design multi-color flow cytometry assays using available cytometer laser configurations.
- Perform PBMC separation from human blood samples, cell culture techniques, cell purification (including human dendritic cells and basophils) and stimulation.
- Identify basophils by morphology under microscope.
- Perform mouse dissection and preparation of samples for both histologic evaluation and cellular assays, including tissues from the murine gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, small intestine, colon, mesenteric lymph nodes).
- Coordinate animal activities including mouse colony maintenance, inventory, and experimental procedures; ensure studies and protocols align with the mission.
- Maintain inventory of stored biological samples.
- Calibrate and operate a variety of laboratory instruments used to perform tests, analyses, and other laboratory procedures, including ELISA readers, spectrophotometers, microcentrifuges, autoclaves.
- Generate laboratory records to support laboratory research, and independently perform necessary calculations (e.g., serial dilutions, molar concentrations).
- Write reports of findings, stating methods and procedures, including any modifications employed, specimens and materials involved, and results of experiments.
- Analyze, evaluate, and discuss the results of each experiment as part of the planning process for subsequent studies and routinely present these findings in lab meetings.
- Prepare various buffers, stock supplies, and other reagents for use in the laboratory, cleaning and autoclaving glassware.
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of data and preparing summaries of laboratory findings to be used in reports and papers to be presented at scientific meetings and/or publication in scientific journals; participate in the preparation of manuscripts, abstracts, and/or posters.
- Provide training to students and other laboratory personnel in the use of sophisticated laboratory equipment and in the performance of specialized procedures, techniques.
- Facilitate day to day projects and instrument training/coordination of multiple lab personnel.
- Communicate with clinical study personnel and collaborating laboratories to coordinate and facilitate research studies.
- Perform laboratory upkeep and routine maintenance of equipment; order and maintain laboratory supplies and equipment including chemicals, biological materials, animals; negotiate supplies and equipment with outside vendors.
- Follow proper procedures required for handling biological materials, toxins, recombinant protein materials, acids, biological wastes.
- Search scientific literature for new methods and procedures for application or modification to selected experiments; maintain daily records of experiments and results in pen in bound laboratory notebooks; make minor modifications or adaptations to established methods, procedures, and/or techniques to solve problems in the work.
- Assists with performing basic laboratory experiments and procedures.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, operate laboratory equipment to analyze samples, analyze laboratory findings.
- Prepares, organizes and maintains various lab samples, supplies, and equipment.
- Program and use computers to store, process, and analyze data.
- Monitor operational procedures in technical environments to ensure conformance to standards.
- Interpret research or operational data. Record research or operational data.
- Interpret, report, and record data and experimental results.
- Willing to learn new laboratory techniques and procedures.
- Design, plan, perform, and analyze experiments.
- Experience and knowledge in immunology
- Master’s degree in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related discipline.
- Minimum of four (4) years of related laboratory experience.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.