Business Performance Director - Research and Development Transformation
Amgen is seeking a Business Performance Director to support the acceleration of drug development for the highest priority assets in the companys innovative pipeline.The Director will report to the Vice President and Head of R&D Transformation. The position is currently located in our corporate headquarters, located in Thousand Oaks, CA, but alternative locations will be considered for the right candidate.
R&D Transformation partners with the R&D leadership and subject matter experts to diagnose pain points, co-create solutions and successfully execute the highest priority efforts to enable innovation and continuous improvement across R&D. This includes a program Fastlane that provides a framework, tools and focused support to accelerate the highest priority products in development.
Serving as liaison for Fastlane teams, the Director will provide end-to-end support to enable Product Teams and Evidence Generation Teams to apply Fastlane methodologies and discipline to all planning and execution activities. The Director will ensure streamlined, fit-for-purpose governance is adequately planned and communicated. The Director will lead pilot initiatives that are designed to simplify and speed commercialization for identified programs. The Director will ensure teams work toward theoretical minimum cycle times on or near critical path while also ensuring validated and timely resource, expertise and capability assessments for new program plan options are actioned and completed on time.
The Business Performance Director - Research and Development Transformation responsibilities include:
- Work with Product Teams and Evidence Generation Teams to accelerate product development and maintain program timelines by predicting needs, managing risks, removing barriers, driving innovative thinking and agile ways of working for the assigned Fastlane product(s). This specifically includes
- Ensuring the strategy and priorities for the PT and EGT are clear and aligned between teams, management and governing bodies.
- Utilizing Fastlane playbooks and methodologies to identify and recommend acceleration options, co-creating with the Product Teams, Evidence Generation Teams, and the Fastlane Network of experts.
- Facilitating resource and portfolio assessments, partnering with the Product Team and the respective responsible organizations to enable appropriate and timely governance decisions.
- Conducting advanced planning and anticipating future resource, funding, and decision-making needs
- Triggering advanced support (e.g., executives, experts, Fastlane Network, additional resources) for team proactively
- Facilitating effective and efficient decision making, planning and execution to achieve accelerated development per approved product strategies and timelines
- Capturing lessons learned to embed in the Fastlane program and applying lessons learned to benefit the product(s).
- Providing expertise in Amgen Transformation methodologies appropriate for the objective, including Agile, Change Management, Solution Development, Implementation and Sustainment, Workshop Facilitation, and Continuous Improvement.
- Coaching / mentoring other liaisons or subject matter experts to build and spread the adoption of transformation methodologies.
- Acting as a strategic architect and thought partner to project team leaders, other liaisons, and R&D leadership to identify solutions, build business cases, generate plans and deliver results.
- Serving as an integrator across multiple R&D and Amgen-wide functions.
- Building and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders; proactively communicating, seeking advice, and facilitating critical business decisions.
- Adapting to a rapidly changing, fast-moving and often ambiguous environment.
Doctorate degree and4 years of Scientific and/or Operations and/or Business experience
Masters degree and 7 years of Scientific and/or Operations and/or Business experience
Bachelors degree and9 years of Scientific and/or Operations and/or Business experience
- Advanced degree or strong demonstration of equivalent combination of relevant educational and professional training experience in leading cross-functional teams
- 7+ years of experience in Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical industry, particularly in Research and Development
- 5+ years of experience in a cross-functional product development or project management experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to storyline and prepare executive-level discussion documents
- Excellent conceptual problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to bring structure to vaguely defined problems, pragmatically scope problem solving approach, and manage execution
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytic skills
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to influence different styles
- Strong written/oral communication skills and executive presence across functions and across different levels of leadership
- Drug Development knowledge with basic to strong understanding of activities within Research, Preclinical and Clinical Development, Medical and Regulatory
- Independent, motivated, team member with experience in a matrix environment
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.