Director of Corporate Communications
LOCATION: South San Francisco
DIVISION: COOPS DEPARTMENT: Communications
REPORTS TO: Lisa Bowers
Day One (NASDAQ: DAWN) was founded to address a critical unmet need: children with cancer are being left behind in a cancer drug development revolution. Our name was inspired by the “The Day One Talk” that physicians have with patients and their families about an initial cancer diagnosis and treatment plan. We aim to re-envision cancer drug development and redefine what’s possible for all people living with cancer—regardless of age—starting from Day One.
We are seeking a Director of Corporate Communications that will partner with the Chief Commercial Officer to shape and deliver the overall communications strategy for Day One. This role will partner closely with the CEO, the COO/CFO, other members of the Executive Leadership Team, Investor Relations, Human Resources, and other key stakeholders to ensure consistent and aligned messages that reinforce Day One’s strategy, values, and priorities.
The right candidate is an independent and flexible professional who has the ability to set a strategy for communications, influence others, drive alignment across diverse cross-functional teams, and execute key deliverables on time and on budget. We are seeking professionals who thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, cross-functional, and mission-driven environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with subject matter experts to craft and deliver a narrative or set of key messages that align with our branding strategy, communications principles, mission and core values in a manner that enhances the perception of Day One as the premier pediatric oncology company
- Hire and manage our PR/media firm in the drafting and distribution of news releases and responding to media inquiries
- Hire and manage the firm that will develop and maintain Day One’s corporate Website, in partnership with the Head of Investor Relations, the Head of Advocacy and our PR firm
- Manage and further develop Day One’s social media strategy, in partnership with our PR firm, the Head of Advocacy and our Head of Human Resources
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members on external-facing materials and events, including branded, medical, industry, advocacy, and research meetings and presentations, to ensure consistency with the company's approved messages and in line with our communication disclosure process.
- Serve as a corporate brand ambassador and provide corporate communications recommendations as needed.
- Set, track, and report key metrics that demonstrate the impact of communications strategies and tactics throughout the year
Internal Employee Communications:
- Partner with the CEO, CCO and Head of HR to define the internal communication strategy that aligns with Day One’s mission, core values and cultural goals. Develop the roadmap required to achieve the strategy and to provide continual and transparent communication to current employees.
- Responsible for managing the calendar and preparing materials for all company meetings. Partner with Head of HR and CEO on content.
- Recommend strategy related to company intranet objectives and build. Focus on delivering a system that is a meaningful communication and collaboration channel by ensuring the content is relevant, helpful, and culturally appropriate.
- Participate in creating other internal communications assets (e.g., monthly newsletters) to ensure the content is consistent with key messages and used in conjunction with other internal communication channels.
- Manage vendors (developers, designers, infrastructure resources) for supporting the launch and sustainment of internal communication projects and channels.
- N/A at this time. May include management responsibilities in the future.
- At least 10+ years of marketing, communication, and/or brand management experience in a publicly-traded healthcare/biotechnology company
- BA/BS degree required; advanced degree a plus
- Proven ability to speak the language of a biotechnology company and break down complex scientific concepts for external audiences
- Understanding of FDA and other regulations impacting communications
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with company executives, media, patient advocacy organizations and other internal and external constituents
- Effective resource/vendor management; can determine the appropriate use of internal vs. external resources and delivers results on time and on budget
- Proven ability to establish internal communication and change management best practices, including pulling through cultural norms and values across a scaling organization
- Excellent written communication skills with a track record of generating clear, accurate, and compelling materials
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, influence, and communications skill with the proven ability to communicate effectively across all departments and levels of the organization
- Is flexible, innovative and adaptable - Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced working environment and work diplomatically and tactfully with others
- Demonstrate Day One’s core values and the attributes that support these core values (integrity, commitment, humility, collaboration, impact)
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.