Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
We are seeking a perceptive, intelligent, and organized Corporate Counsel who will own, execute and help us optimize contract management for the company.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Collaborate with other subject matter experts in Legal, Finance, HR, Cybersecurity and other groups to efficiently manage the contracts process and assess risk, including development of automated/self-service approaches where appropriate
- Analyze contract provisions to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and company policies and procedures and acceptable risk tolerance.
- Agreement types include CDAs, consulting, MTAs, services, manufacturing, clinical trial, HR, collaboration, technology and independent contractor agreements, licenses, and other agreements for products and/or services
- Develop and maintain library of templates and fallback documents used by legal and procurement colleagues
- Implement and manage a contract lifecycle management system and maintain legal records
- Prepare and conduct trainings regarding legal concepts and company processes
- Participate on internal committees to provide information and advice on contract-related issues
- Create and maintain ad hoc reports and assist on special projects as needed
- Serve as the primary contact in the legal department for all of Recursion’s day-to-day contract needs
- Review, draft, and negotiate the full range of contracts supporting business development activities, research & development activities (including clinical trials and manufacturing) and business operations
- Advise the business on contract interpretation, terms, issues, risk and negotiating strategies
- Manage the workflow of the contracting process and provide contract lifecycle support to internal stakeholders
- Help refine and optimize the contracts process and procedures at Recursion
- Manage, update, and maintain Recursion’s contract templates
- Educate and guide internal stakeholders regarding contract process
- Oversee implementation and maintenance of Recursion’s contract management system
- Assist with public company SEC reporting, including Form 10-K, Form10-Q, Form 8-K, and Section 16 filings and proxy statements
- Collaborate with various internal stakeholders effectively to address legal and business questions
- Manage outside counsel
- Provide support in connection with Recursion’s business development activities and corporate financing transactions
- Provide other legal support (e.g., regarding corporate, employment, privacy and compliance matters) based on the Company’s needs and your experience
The Team You’ll Join
- You will be joining a dynamic team of five which will be continuing to grow in 2021-22 and beyond. You will have an important role in supporting the growth of the organization and play a key role in the strategic planning for contract management across all departments.
- The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for managing and supporting the day-to-day contracting needs of a rapidly growing clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, including drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts and managing the contract workflow process.
- Although the primary focus of the role will be contracts, the Corporate Counsel will also assist with other general corporate matters and SEC reporting activities. The ideal candidate will be able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and be a self-starter.
The Skills and Attributes You’ll Need
- JD degree from a well-respected, accredited law school
- Undergraduate degree in one of the life sciences is preferred
- Admitted to Utah bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel in Utah
- 5-8+ years of legal experience, with a combination of experience in-house at a biotechnology/pharmaceutical company and at a reputable law firm preferred
- 4+ years of experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts for biopharma companies, including CTAs, MTAs, MSAs, CDAs, SOWs, license agreements, collaboration agreements, manufacturing agreements, consulting agreements, and software licenses
- Attention to detail, with excellent communication, writing, analytical and project management abilities
- Accountable, dependable and self-motivated for continuous improvement of company templates, policies and processes
- Able to work independently and apply good business and legal judgement in assessing contract terms and other legal issues
- Able to interpret and apply GCP, EU, FDA and ICH regulations and guidelines
- Team player who can clearly communicate complex issues, observations and resolutions to stakeholders at all levels, with highly developed decision making and consensus-building skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, early-stage company environment
- Collaborative, flexible, positive, and pragmatic work style
- Working knowledge of intellectual property, employment and privacy laws
- Experience with public company SEC reporting is desirable, but not required
- Detail-oriented with a high level of ethics and integrity
- Admitted to Utah bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel in Utah with at least 5-8 years of legal experience or equivalent qualifications
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs**
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering, with the goal of radically improving the lives of patients and industrializing drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.