AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Act as the principal designer for IoT systems utilizing a thorough understanding of available technology, tools, and existing designs. Conceive, design, engineer, and implement IoT solutions that solve significant scientific or business problems. Investigate, identify, and implement state-of-the-art IoT technology platforms that drive productivity and efficiency gains in own function and throughout multiple business areas. Act as a lead in his/her area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant technological advances and integrate this knowledge into new business technology solutions.
- Conceive, design, engineer, and implement end-to-end IoT solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Provide comprehensive consultation to business unit and IT management and staff at the highest technical level on all phases of IoT platforms, computing environments (e.g., host based, distributed systems, client server, software, hardware, technologies, and tools, etc.).
- Develop and evangelize comprehensive product roadmaps with both IT peers and strategic business partners.
- Demonstrate ability to quickly acquire knowledge of the life sciences business sector and utilize this knowledge in the rapid advancement of agile, impactful, and cost-effective solutions.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing activities, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Research and evaluate alternative solutions and recommend the most efficient and cost-effective IoT solution.
- Matures and leverages relationships with affiliates, subsidiaries, vendors, and industry peers in accordance with Abbvie Values, Vendor Management Office, and Purchasing to further the mission, vision, and goals of the organization.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable corporate and divisional policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security, and the software development lifecycle.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of experience, Master’s degree and 6 years of experience, PhD and 2 years of experience in application program development. Work experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Intermediate/advanced knowledge of the cloud services, market segments, customer base and industry verticals.
- Prior experience in a technical role within a services organization.
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences.
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations.
- Understanding of application, server, and network security and compliance requirements such as FedRAMP and HIPAA.
- Demonstrated experience leading or developing high quality, enterprise scale software products using a structured system development life cycle.
- Experience in one or more specific IoT / embedded / M2M industry (i.e., home automation, business automation, health wearables, asset tracking, smart utilities, etc.)
- Experience with embedded or real-time operating systems, and/or driver/kernel development.
- Experience programming applications backed by cloud services.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly.
- Enterprise Architecture Peers and Leadership
- Business IT Teams in Research and Development, Manufacturing Operations, and Commercial
- Business Leaders in respective organizations
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.