Director/Associate Director, Global Access Innovation
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Advances in scientific and technological research are opening up new, promising treatments for previously difficult to treat diseases, increasing the demand on already constrained healthcare budgets. The challenging economic and political environment is leading payers and an increasing number of market access stakeholders to demand better outcomes at lower costs to the overall health system. The escalating tension between cost and value means that the bar is higher for proving added benefit.
In this environment, AbbVie needs to understand the evolving healthcare system and market access landscape and the new models of access that may facilitate the shift to value-based healthcare. These insights will enable AbbVie to enhance and evolve our market access capabilities and approaches to secure timely access for patients. This role will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to create a positive and beneficial access environment.
This role will be responsible for developing a strategic framework for researching, evaluating and supporting execution of innovative access or new reimbursement models that would generate value for patients, healthcare systems and AbbVie. This will include new ways of engaging health systems; new partnership models; supporting development of (data) solutions; and driving the development of innovative access models, that focuses on improved outcomes for patients and the healthcare system across therapeutic area (such as innovative financing solutions, private health insurance, value-based models etc).
This role will also define the strategic focus that would enable scaling and execution of new innovative access models; drawing on a wide range of expertise both internal and external to AbbVie, to develop strong, aligned market access policy objectives and positions.
Access Innovation is a newly created function within the Global Market Access & Pricing organization designed to solve complex reimbursement problems and help drive a remarkable impact by achieving broad and timely access for patients.
The ideal candidate thrives in a role with an ability to think strategically and creatively, while driving for tangible results to enhance patient access. The candidate must have strong matrix leadership skills to drive a global strategic vision. The incumbent of the role will serve as an Access Innovation expert across AbbVie’s portfolio, with strong collaboration with Senior Commercial Leadership Team and other cross-functional leaders.
The Access Innovation position reports to the Global Head of Access Innovation. The role can be based in Chicago or Europe.
Key responsibilities include:
Develop and Evaluate Innovative Access Models
- Assess macroeconomic policy dynamics, healthcare system and infrastructure trends, pricing & reimbursement policy developments and challenges, innovative access approaches, market access stakeholder evolution, in order to identify potential opportunities to develop innovative access or reimbursement solutions to enable patient access to AbbVie’s portfolio;
- Based on the aggregation of internal and external insights and trends and AbbVie’s pipeline, inform AbbVie’s global market access innovation priorities (such as novel funding mechanisms, private health insurance, indication-based pricing, performance-based funding etc);
- Develop cross-functional action plan (develop use cases, data solutions, and policy and advocacy engagement strategies) and provide global stewardship on priority areas that will help to advance and accelerate access to AbbVie’s portfolio;
- Serve as a market access innovation expert across AbbVie to develop new access, reimbursement and value-based healthcare model and conduct research to inform new payer/access innovation projects;
- Develop innovative access/reimbursement approaches and experiments with Affiliates/Areas, healthcare systems, payers and other market access stakeholders;
- Support Areas and Affiliates in implementing and piloting innovative access models use cases by overseeing design and project management with feasibility assessment for scaling and adaptation to other geographies;
- Work with internal stakeholders including Market Access, Strategic Pricing, HTA, Medical, HEOR, External Affairs and external stakeholders to pilot new models such as private health insurance, leasing models, artificial intelligence pricing approaches;
- Lead the formation of internal external advisory expert panel as well as internal Think Tanks to advice on innovative approaches and pilots, and cultivate an external global network of market access and public policy experts;
- Work with Areas/Affiliates to develop innovative partnership models that enables timely and broad access for patients;
- Lead development of market access policy positions and supporting resources that enable scaling and execution of innovative access and other reimbursement models that addresses affordability and provides timely access for patients;
- Build a systematic approach to capability building to support Affiliates/Areas to (1) conduct external environmental assessment to understand and anticipate local market access policy trends, (2) localize multiyear (3 year) and annual integrated access plans, and (3) how to effectively shape the external environment to advance market access priorities.
- Advanced degree in science, medicine, business, public policy, health economics or related field is required
- The candidate must have at least 10 years of progressive experience preferably in a variety of market access-related areas (including market access, managed care marketing, health economics, HTA, pricing and reimbursement);
- The candidate must have direct local experience working within (a) market(s), engaging (including negotiating) with payers and/or policy market and other stakeholders across the healthcare sector;
- Knowledge of trends across healthcare and market access landscape, and strong understanding of international reimbursement systems, funding flows and incentives (including differences and similarities among systems);
- The candidate must have strong scientific acumen as well as comprehensive knowledge of pharmaceutical commercialization and drug development process, across multiple therapeutic areas;
- Ability to deeply understand the access landscape and translate into concrete action plan for AbbVie;
- Demonstrates strategic enterprise thinking by seeing the picture, finding innovative approaches to achieving the business objectives;
- Demonstrated experience in managing high-profile complex projects, ideally engaging with multiple external stakeholders;
- Experience with innovative reimbursement/access and financing models, and deploying innovative value proposition to broaden access for patients;
- Understanding of the Innovation Process to develop and pilot use cases with ability to drive short term impact and data driven decision on outcomes of pilots;
- Experience of leading through the matrix and influencing internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to build networks, to motivate and engage with diverse groups of external & internal stakeholders to rally around a common cause;
- Experience in developing and deploying data solutions (utilization or performance tracking, data warehousing, digital diagnostics) is a plus;
- Enthusiasm for bringing treatments and innovative medicines to patients;
- The candidate must have strong analytic, presentation and writing skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.