Director, Primary Market Analytics - Imbruvica
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, Primary Market Analytics - Imbruvica will be responsible for leading primary qualitative and quantitative research conducted primarily in the US and with collaboration on global projects - in support of in-line indications, new indications, and business development. This person will be a strategic partner to the leadership team as well as to the brand marketing team collaborating across functional teams, including leaders in commercial, finance, and business development. He/she will be responsible for working independently and with alliance partners to identify, prioritize and find solutions for the key insights needs for the commercial organization.
This role will lead a team who manages research and analysis of US and global markets, competition, product mix, and specified product markets. Market Research provides strategic, cumulative and in-depth market data, insights and recommendations to key stakeholders and functions; helping such business partners/stakeholders to make optimal informed strategic and operational decisions regarding their business strategies, plans, tactics and goals.
Project Design & Execution
- Work with the leadership team to understand the strategic issues, both current and in the future, design research to answer the questions, partner with alliance partners and the brand team to convince them of the need, lead the execution of the project, and deliver insightful results
- Design, conduct (with vendors), analyze results, and report out primary market research, qualitative and quantitative, with defined business impact
- Develop innovative ways of doing research and triangulate results across various sources to come up with a holistic solution to inform decision making
- Partner with forecasting, translate primary and secondary insights, including market research into key, long-range patient-based forecasts
- Responsible for alliance management for their function and supporting the brand plan & budget planning across the alliance
- Act as consultant to partners/stakeholders across sales/marketing, managed care marketing, clinical, research, regulatory, finance, manufacturing, and others. Build relationships within Pharmacyclics and partner organizations to support strategic decision-making across functional areas
- Provide a holistic, objective and analytical viewpoint of the market and commercial opportunities through ongoing situation analysis and understanding issues including understanding market dynamics, customer needs, and competitive activities
- Strategic Projects: Drive analytics for planned and ad hoc strategic projects including scenario analysis to help drive key strategic decisions for the business. Some examples include developing go-to market scenarios, ad-hoc primary research etc.
- Distill information, identify the highest impact ideas, translate strategic vision into tactical action, and focus efforts by optimal resource allocation
- Develop presentations with clear storylines, communicating key insights and recommendations while integrating data sources and existing team knowledge
- Assess risks and benefits to make timely, sound decisions with various levels of information, and accept responsibility for meeting and/ or exceeding objectives
- Ability to lead presentations in front of senior executives of Abbvie/Pharmacyclics
- Develop effective ways of communicating results to leadership team, who are short on time but still need to know the key insights
- Hire, manage and develop direct reports
- Manage a team of 2 direct reports and vendor teams on an as-needed project basis
- Ability to develop and maintain strong team, including external partners, relationships while driving for positive results
- Strong leadership and ability to drive influence across stakeholders to set direction, align work efforts, and ensure outstanding execution
- Constantly innovate approach to MR and identify new vendors with better/newer capabilities to enhance the MR offering
- Implement ways to summarize results across studies and over time to key questions and hypotheses to answer business questions
- Develop a robust, repeatable, and implementable approach for qualitative insight generation – and help the leadership team better understand the market
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent; Master’s/PhD/MBA degree in a marketing/ analytics field strongly preferred
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in market research, business development, strategic consulting or other analytical work in the pharmaceutical, biotech or related industries.
- Previous experience in oncology is required and experience specifically in hematology is a plus
- Prior experience managing primary market research projects and analysis, both qualitative and quantitative
- Ability to do hands-on work with commercial data and demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility within marketing or business analytics
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in supporting launch products and/or new indications with primary research
- Demonstrated success defining business information and insight needs and translating those to specific reports.
- Strong cross-functional team management expertise to drive implementation and business results
- Demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to think strategically and solve problems
- Proven ability to collaborate and drive performance in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding project management, budget management, and vendor management skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong understanding of legal and regulatory environment in pharmaceutical promotions, pharma industry guidelines, and other compliance-related issues
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.