Senior Engineer Technology I - Oracle Database Administrator
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The database administration function provides in-depth technical expertise of database management systems, including database architecture, installation, and technical support of variety database platforms. Responsible for designing, securing, and maintaining the data structures used to store data for corporate computer systems. Responsible for the backup and recovery of corporate data. Provides technical support for data extraction, transformation, and load (ETL) tools, which are used to extract data from various database technologies, manipulate the data, and load to a new database environment. Performs database administration activities such as modifications, enhancements, expansions, and capacity planning. Provides technical support and assistance to Systems analysts and Sr. Systems Analysts in the design and tuning of computer applications. Provides in-depth technical expertise related to the ongoing maintenance and support of the database software.
- Provides guidance in database administration activities to less experienced DBAs.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Review, validate and enhance logical database designs. Define and implement physical databases.
- Perform database administration activities (e.g., modifications, enhancements, expansions).
- Conducts production database performance monitoring and capacity planning. Install, test and upgrade database releases and associated products.
- Diagnoses database-related issues (e.g., database outages, application performance).
- Lead the development of database standards and procedures. Evaluate and recommend new database software, utilities, and tools.
- Daily interaction with clients on divisional and enterprise-wide projects and peer resources in other technical support organizations (e.g. hardware, storage, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree with 6 years experience, Master’s degree with 5 years experience, and 10 years DBA experience
- Experience as a DBA in the design, testing, implementation, and administration of management systems database.
- Technical training including Database Administration, Performance and Tuning, and Backup and Recovery. Requires experience with OEM and RMAN, Multitenant and Data Guard, patching, data retrieval, scripting in Unix shells and PL/SQL, extensive performance tuning. Experience with AWS and RDS is a plus.
- Knowledge of the systems development life cycle a plus.
- Requires experience with file structures, design, retrieval, and access methods, etc. Experience establishing guidelines, procedures and standards for database administration is a plus.
- Requires excellent analytical, communication and consultative skills, as well as sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with client and other IT management and staffs.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.