Data Scientist, Scientific Analytics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Clinical Analytics is an ambitious team of Data Scientists with a unique blend of Business, Scientific, and Machine Learning expertise that seeks to unleash the full potential of AbbVie’s data assets by bringing technology and/or data and insights to the forefront of decision making via fit-for-purpose data analytics solutions. The scope and impact of Clinical Analytics continues to broaden as we constantly explore new opportunities to disrupt clinical development. We collaborate closely with stakeholders to outline the problem, explore solutions, refine opportunities, and deliver a product with a continuous innovation mindset.
The Data Scientist (Scientific Analytics) role is key technical leadership role to enable application of advanced analytics techniques across clinical development processes. Drives Analytics innovation and experimentation to enable data-driven insights for complex business problems across R&D. Ensures consistency in analysis techniques and delivery against cross-functional analytics and visualization requirements. Accountable for gathering cross-functional input into the development of Clinical Analytics Team deliverables. Ensures clinical data integrity and quality prior to analysis.
- Connects with cross-functional teams and enables data-driven insights to support Development, including precision medicine, as an analytics consultant.
- In addition to standard statistical methods, develops prototypes, tests methods, and deploys algorithms, including machine learning and AI techniques. Leverages emerging statistical methodologies to drive innovative analytical solutions to create insights from clinical, molecular, and/or real world data.
- Leads and helps establish the design principles and standards to ensure analytical work product is consistent across projects where appropriate and that user experience is optimized.
- Ensures that presented data and presentations maintain study integrity. This role is required to support multiple use cases and should ensure that each work product is fit for purpose.
- Anticipates and identifies issues that could affect timelines or quality and develops options and solutions.
- Leads both cross-functional innovation and functional process improvement initiatives and ‘lessons learned’ events.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring junior team members.
- Ensures adherence to federal regulations and applicable local regulations, Good Clinical Practices (GCPs), ICH Guidelines, AbbVie Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and to functional quality standards. Stays abreast of new and/or evolving local regulations, guidelines and policies related to clinical development.
- Degree in statistics, bioinformatics, molecular biology, genetics, mathematics, data science or equivalent field is required with 4+ years (BS), 2+ years (MS) or 0+ years (PhD) of related experience.
- Intermediate-level proficiency in Python, R or other statistical packages. Intermediate-level knowledge of statistical and data mining techniques
- Intermediate proficiency with visualization tools like Spotfire, Tableau or equivalent
- Experience with Machine Learning and other advanced analytics techniques preferred
- Demonstrated effective communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate analytical and technical concepts in layman’s terms
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated history of successful execution in a fast-paced environment and in managing multiple priorities effectively
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.