Sales Representative - Life Sciences
Government Scientific Source Inc, GSS, an innovative small-business distributor of scientific instruments and laboratory products to the Federal government, is seeking an experienced, highly-motivated Sales Representative to join our growing Sales Department.
The Sales Representative is responsible for sales of laboratory supplies, equipment, instrumentation, and chemicals within a defined set of federal government accounts. The representative will serve customers primarily engaged in life science and molecular biology, biomedical, chemistry and chemical analysis, clinical diagnostics, optics, photonics, and other related fields of research. The representative will maintain effective customer relations, develop opportunities for growth within existing customer bases, and assure market penetration and profitability while achieving sales and profit forecasts.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with federal government customers, including, but not limited to, procurement managers, buyers, strategic sourcing specialists, small business liaisons, laboratory managers, principal investigators, postdocs, lab techs, and end-users within an assigned customer base.
- Utilize resources to meet customer needs and work effectively with an internal cross-functional team as well as external resources.
- Develop and execute sales strategies and plans to exceed sales objectives for laboratory supplies/consumables, equipment, instrumentation, and chemicals/reagents.
- Make significant outbound sales calls with customers within an assigned customer segment as well as follow-up on inbound leads.
- Maximize other customer touchpoints with emails, virtual meetings, social media contact, and additional marketing support, etc.
- Potentially attend internal and external developed product and trade shows.
- Research competitors and industry activities while keeping informed of new products, services, and other general information of interest to customers. Incorporating found data into a business plan to introduce new products and services.
- Develops accounts by reviewing buying history, suggesting related and new items, and providing some customer/technical support.
- Maintain accurate reporting, records, and files as necessary for proper management of the territory.
- Inform the cross-functional team of opportunities via CRM, phone, and in-person.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Positively represent GSS at all times throughout customer locations.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of sales experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs, Enterprise Resouce Planning (ERP) software.
- Experience in Dynamics NAV, Oracle Cloud, and a CRM a plus.
- Possess excellent organizational skills to multi-task while meeting deadlines.
- Limited potential travel to strategic customer locations, events, training or to suppliers.
- Strong industry, laboratory, and science background preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Government Scientific Source (“GSS”) is a covered federal contractor or subcontractor subject to the requirements of the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), as amended, and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. As such, GSS is bound by the terms of VEVRAA and Section 503, and shall not discriminate against individuals with disabilities, and is committed to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
It is the policy of Government Scientific Source (“GSS”) to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
GSS offers excellent benefits including health insurance, FSA/DCA, 100% company-paid life and disability insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, PTO, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedule, onsite fitness room and more!