Laboratory Operations Manager
Implementing operational excellence across all insitro’s laboratories is an essential component for the production of high-quality data sets that are used in machine learning. As a Laboratory Operations Manager, you will be responsible for achieving high quality and efficient operations across all production, automation and research laboratories. Within this organizational framework responsibilities include laboratory performance and productivity including equipment, equipment maintenance, supplies, staffing, training, software and documentation. Compliance with applicable state and federal regulations related to safety and the environment is an important part of this position.
You will work to sustain the day-to-day functions of laboratories with inventory stocking, reagent ordering, and lab cleanliness and organization. You will also work to manage vendor relationships to keep abreast of supply chain quality issues. Importantly, you will also work to ensure the safety of our laboratory personnel and manage our EH&S activities.
You will be joining a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, providing many opportunities for meaningful impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- B.S./M.S./PhD in biological science or relevant disciplines, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in laboratory management
- Significant experience managing inventory systems for laboratory supplies, reagents, chemicals and cell lines
- Demonstrated track record of identifying and implementing process improvements for laboratory operations
- Experience with training new and current laboratory personnel in laboratory procedures and protocols
- Demonstrated ability to implement and manage laboratory best practices and safety programs
- Expertise in overseeing lab equipment QC, calibration, and maintenance
- Familiarity with monitoring and analyzing laboratory workflows and inventory consumption
- Experience with designing, coordinating, and improving laboratory schedules and logistics
- Experience managing external services for sample processing and QC
- Must be highly collaborative, team-oriented, and an effective communicator
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds
Nice to Have
- Proven experience managing small teams
- Experience with procurement systems
- Expertise generating process metrics for laboratory operations
- Experience working with large-scale automation systems
- Familiarity with 5S methodology
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Complementary onsite barista and snacks
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning and data generation at scale to transform the way that drugs are discovered and delivered to patients. We rely on human genetic cohorts, human-derived cellular disease models, and high-throughput biology and chemistry to identify coherent patient segments, actionable therapeutic targets, and new or existing chemical matter. The goal is to deliver predictive insights to improve the probability of success and reduce the number of costly dead ends along the R&D journey. The company has established enabling collaborations with Gilead in NASH and Bristol Myers Squibb in ALS and is building a pipeline of wholly owned and partnered medicines leveraging its unique insights on patient biomarkers, targets, and molecules. insitro is located in South San Francisco, CA and has raised over $600M from top tech, biotech, and crossover investors since formation in 2018. For more information on insitro, please visit the company’s website at www.insitro.com.