We are currently searching for a Molecular Biologist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the overall preclinical research of vaccine development against emerging infectious diseases with pandemic potential (including COVID-19 and Lassa fever).
- Design and execute multiple complex research projects to evaluate and develop vaccines.
- Develop reagents, assays, and model systems to evaluate mechanisms of pathogen and vaccine-mediated immunity.
- Lead expression, purification, in vitro and in vivo characterization efforts for clinical vaccine candidates.
- Coordinate efforts related to cross-group influenza structural analysis with the virology lab.
- Develop high-throughput and automated protein purification methodology.
- Develop and optimize protein expression protocols for various viral vaccines, recombinant proteins and/or virus-like particles or monoclonal antibodies.
- Produce research reagents using either transient expression techniques or by expansion of stable cell lines or pools.
- Coordinate and work to assure the availability of proteins, and to gather data and understand the process.
- Contribute to purification efforts.
- Perform experimental investigations on protein purification, optimization of cell culture conditions, tech-transfer of defined purification processes to the clinical production facility and troubleshooting of purification processes and capturing process descriptions and results in tech transfer documents and technical reports.
- Maintain accurate records of all protein expression, purification, and analysis operations.
- Participate in project and laboratory meetings, stay current with the literature in the field and help assure the laboratory maintains its state-of-the-art status; publish results and studies in peer reviewed journals.
- Design, propose, and perform experiments in the area of high-throughput and automation of protein purification process development, capture and communicate the results in several formats, and work with colleagues to move the developed processes to other groups within the Institute as well as research groups outside.
- Develop and maintain collegial, collaborative relationships with colleagues, research groups and Purification, Analytical, and Manufacturing to ensure that efforts are efficiently translated with other groups.
- Contribute to project coordination and resource management.
- Develop quality improvement plans, procedures, and SOPs for the laboratories; write detailed technical protocols and reports on protein expression and characterization runs.
- Present findings at internal and external meetings.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology or a related discipline. Three (3) years of specialized experience plus a Master’s degree is equivalent to a Ph.D. Five (5) years of specialized experience plus a Bachelor’s degree is equivalent to a Ph.D.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Relevant laboratory experience in automation and instrumentation.
- A high degree of judgment in establishing priorities to successfully complete tasks. Ability to multi-task in a high-volume fast paced work environment.
- Ability to critically review scientific literature and apply to laboratory processes
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines and ethics that govern research.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture for both anchorage dependent and suspension cell culture, with larger-scale cell culture systems (bioreactors), with routine sampling and analysis of cell culture and bioreactor samples and with media and cell culture technology development.
- Experience with purification of eukaryotic proteins including IMAC, affinity purification, ion exchange chromatography, FPLC and HPLC with a demonstrated ability to develop optimal methods of purification to obtain high quality proteins.
- Expertise in molecular biology and design of expression vectors, transfection techniques, screening of cells expressing recombinant proteins and knowledge of classical purification methods such as ammonium sulfate precipitation.
- Demonstrated ability to study biomolecular interactions using ELISA as well as the use of label-free methods such as BioLayer Interferometry and SPR.
- Basic computer skills to include MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Background in biology, chemistry, biochemistry and/or biophysics.
- Familiarity with scientific 2D graphing and statistics software (GraphPad Prism, etc.) And statistical design packages (JMP, etc.), as is the use of good laboratory practice and record keeping.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.