Animal Biologist, Small Animal Focus
We are currently searching for an Animal Biologist, Small Animal Focus to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Study the basic principles of animal life and the effects of varying environmental factors.
- Perform basic and translational research to test.
- Process samples collected using molecular biology techniques to ensure timely and accurate analysis.
- Work closely with core facilities and outside vendors to maintain chain of custody of biospecimens and identify any areas for improvement of standard operating procedures.
- Perform molecular, cellular, and microbiology techniques in accordance with Biosafety Level 2 guidelines and be proficient in mouse handling.
- Perform administrative duties including ordering, managing budgets, maintaining written documentation of standard operating procedures and research findings.
- Train new lab members in lab practices.
- Assist in drafting protocols.
- Perform techniques of molecular biology, including PCR, quantitative RT-PCR, TaqMan, gene cloning, vector construction and cell transfection and transduction.
- Perform FACS and ELISA.
- Update and maintain laboratory databases and notebooks.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data.
- Prepare reports and summaries based on findings and results.
- Attend and participate in seminars and meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology, Animal Sciences, Life Sciences, or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years laboratory experience in molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, or a related discipline.
- Minimum 3 years laboratory experience in mouse handling.
- Experience with tagging and tailing mice.
- Proficiency in techniques such as PCR, TaqMan, quantitative RT-PCR, gene cloning and vector construction.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Cell culture.
- Experience plotting and presenting data.
- Familiarity with ELISA and FACS.
- Genetic modification of cell lines with transfection and transduction.
- Experience with mouse blood draws and injections (subcutaneous, intraperitoneal, and intravenous).
- Proficient with MS Office Suite.
- Software: Knowledge of Filemaker Pro (preferred).
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.