Business Performance Director
Amgen is seeking a Business Performance Director to support critical change initiatives for the Research and Development (R&D) organization.The Director will report to the Vice President and Head of R&D Transformation. The position is currently located in our corporate headquarters, located in Thousand Oaks, CA, but alternative locations will be considered for the right candidate.
R&D Transformation partners with the R&D leadership and subject matter experts to diagnose pain points, co-create solutions and successfully execute the highest priority efforts to enable innovation and continuous improvement across R&D. Areas of transformation includes capability building, technology and process improvements, acquisitions and collaborations, and change management
The Director will be a team lead or a liaison (internal consultant) for a portfolio of transformation initiatives or programs that span R&D and occasionally cross into Amgen-wide efforts or support other organizations. He/she will gather, analyze, and synthesize cross-functional information across a variety of sources to turn unstructured business issues and requests into appropriate action plans and projects that result in high quality, meaningful and actionable deliverables. The Director will also be a coach and mentor to others, andwill manage stakeholders by clearly communicating status, issues, implications and recommendations. Successful candidates will spend ~18-30 months working on a variety of transformation initiatives before transitioning into an R&D leadership role or into other areas of the business, such as Corporate Strategy, Alliance Management, Portfolio Management.
The Business Performance Director - Research and Development Transformation responsibilities include:
- Work with R&D experts to solve business problems across a portfolio of initiatives or programs that span R&D and occasionally cross into Amgen-wide efforts or support other organizations.
- Provide expertise in Amgen Transformation methodologies appropriate for the objective, including Agile, Change Management, Solution Development, Implementation and Sustainment, Workshop Facilitation, and Continuous Improvement.
- Coach / mentor other liaisons or subject matter experts to build and spread the adoption of transformation methodologies.
- Act as a strategic architect and thought partner to project team leaders, other liaisons, and R&D leadership to identify solutions, build business cases, generate plans and deliver results.
- Ensure transformation project success, by managing risks, removing roadblocks, driving innovative thinking, maintaining fair process, escalating issues and delivering high quality results.
- Serve as an integrator across multiple R&D and Amgen-wide functions and transformation efforts.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders; proactively communicating, seeking advice, and facilitating critical business decisions.
- Adapt to a rapidly changing, fast-moving and often ambiguous environment.
Doctorate degree and4 years of Scientific and/or Operations and/or Business experience
Masters degree and 7 years of Scientific and/or Operations and/or Business experience
Bachelors degree and9 years of Scientific and/or Operations and/or Business experience
- Advanced degree or strong demonstration of equivalent combination of relevant educational and professional training experience in leading cross-functional teams
- 7+ years of experience in Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical industry, particularly in Research and Development
- 5+ years of experience in a cross-functional business operations or project management role
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to storyline and prepare executive-level discussion documents
- Excellent conceptual problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to bring structure to vaguely defined problems, pragmatically scope problem solving approach, and manage execution
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytic skills
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to influence different styles
- Strong written/oral communication skills and executive presence across functions and across different levels of leadership
- Drug Development knowledge with basic to strong understanding of activities within Research, Preclinical and Clinical Development, Medical and Regulatory
- Independent, motivated, team member with experience in a matrix environment
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.