Network / Security Engineer
Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are looking for a Network / Security Engineer to join our growing South San Francisco team!
The Network / Security Engineer role is responsible for providing direction, design, and execution of network infrastructure and security initiatives for Vaxart. The successful candidate will be experienced in developing plans to safeguard corporate infrastructure and intellectual property from unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure. Experienced in performing periodic penetration scan and mitigations as needed. They will also possess broad technical skills with the ability to implement new networks, firewalls, and other security devices across the organization. Provide proactive monitoring of the environment and increase awareness of current and critical security alerts throughout the company.
- Assist in the definition of the strategy and technology roadmap for Network Security Architecture, assess, and deliver enterprise level, highly available technical solutions.
- Experience providing day to day support of network and security infrastructure, including network and security incident identification, analysis through to resolution.
- Documentation of security process and procedures, perform periodic testing and validation.
- Lead complex projects that impact the entire company through its entire lifecycle; from planning and design, corporate communications, testing to delivery and support.
- Ongoing testing and checking of our systems for weaknesses in design, software, and hardware.
- Ability to document Security architecture and functional design; build testing, validation controls.
- Experience managing, implementing, and installing firewalls, routers, switches.
- Expert level Cisco and Meraki skill set.
- Able to analyze network traffic to debug and resolve issues.
- Comfortable working with external auditors to review security initiatives, provide test subjects, and mitigate identified issues.
- 5 years’ experience with ownership responsibilities for network infrastructure and security stack.
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful scenarios.
- Ability to communicate and report network security incidents and issues to the upper management.
- Ability to define and implement the results of malicious code, mobile code, and anti-virus software.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Knowledge of computer forensic tools, data loss prevention methods, and disaster recovery methods.
- A network engineer degree, telecom engineer degree, or BS/BE degree in computer science, cybersecurity or related IT fields.
- Network engineer certifications such as CCNP Security (Cisco Certified Network Professional Security), CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker), CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional), and GIAC Security Certifications.
- Must be available to work onsite when needed at our offices in South San Francisco.
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, stock options, 401K with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.