Senior Clinical Budget Analyst
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Clinical (Senior) Budget Analyst- This position may reside in IL and/or work Remotely
The Senior Clinical Budget Analyst is an individual contributor who works under limited supervision and guidance. This position serves as a subject matter expert in the clinical trial budget development space. Candidate will frequently interact interdepartmentally with R&D, PSM and Finance business teams/functional areas including Study Forecasters/Financial Analysts, OEC, Legal, Clinical Payments, and global Clinical Site Contracting teams for clinical study budget utilization. The Sr. Clinical Budget Analyst is also expected to identify and resolve issues that arise to ensure budgets are compliant with study protocol requirements, are aligned with overall study budget projections and consistent with the Fair Market Value (FMV) benchmarking tool pricing and thus reflecting the overall financial requirements to support AbbVie’s clinical trials.
- Influences and efficiently partners with AbbVie R&D to build clinical site study budgets in compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, and objectives
- Able to provide strategic insight, when required, into budget building process with difficult protocol situations (i.e., complex clinical protocols, difficult indications such as oncology, neuroscience, high priority studies etc.)
- Independently create clinical trial budget templates, FMV benchmarks, Budget Summary Analysis, FMV analysis template(s), etc. using clinical budgeting tools and systems (i.e. industry clinical cost benchmarking tool, Apttus, SharePoint etc.)
- Actively and effectively communicates status of budget build with key internal and external stakeholders in a timely manner. Communicates issues to stakeholders that could impact project timelines or other aspects for study start-up.
- Closely works with CPD (SPM, SMA, PL), TAMD’s, Design Center, Legal, OEC, OUS, Payments, to mitigate, and resolve budget and/or FMV issues as they arise during any point in the clinical trial. Lead CSA Budget Strategy calls and present at Study Kick-off Meetings with cross-functional team members.
- Develop the most current and transparent budget that is also in-line with industry standards Serve as subject matter expert in medical/CPT code competencies across multiple therapeutic/functional areas.
- Solid working understanding of United States Medicare Coverage Analysis requirements as per AbbVie policies and procedures for the oncology and neuroscience trials. Able to analyze budgets and identify cost drivers and where benchmarking tools fail to identify site/country trends.
- Ability to review and analyze complex protocol amendments and decide if templates need to be amended and work with amendment team to be agile in that if the revisions constitute a contract amendment versus as only a template amendment.
- Acts as the first line of contact for clinical trial budget issue escalated related to clinical trial site budgets. Provide guidance to CPD, Contract Managers, and CGMP on how and why budgets were developed and assist in crafting communication back to the site when applicable. Utilize the FMV analysis template for OEC FMV compliance to ensure that AbbVie is following corporate compliance.
- Identify and participates in ongoing process improvement initiatives when appropriate (i.e. Link Library, new Exhibit A, New FMV template/process etc.)
- BA/BS is required; Science degree is preferred but not required
- Clinical experience is highly desirable
- Expertise with clinical cost benchmarking tools and/or ICD-9/10 codes is highly preferred; expertise with Excel is required
- Minimum of 4 years of related job experience with 2 years of clinical budget experience
- Must have demonstrated ability in negotiation skills, project management skills and effective communication and relationship management abilities. Clinical budget experience in scientific setting is highly preferred.
- Must have extreme attention to detail along with an understanding of the quality/compliance environment
- Customer support focused expertise is highly desirable
Critical Success Factors: The ability to answer questions with less than ideal information and minimal guidance while balancing compliance requirements is a key success factor for this position.
Level of position is commensurate upon education and experience of the candidate.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.