Pharmacy Technician II
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Pharmacy Technician position exists to support the pharmacist(s) in completing the duties associated with entering, processing, and managing drug therapy orders, interpreting and dispensing prescriptions, maintaining patient and pharmacy records and other professional activities. This position is also responsible for collaborating with and supporting the Lead(s) and Supervisor(s) in day to day activities, issue resolution, and completion of project tasks. This position should also be a subject matter expert in all pharmacy operations functional areas.
- Assist the pharmacist with the practice of pharmacy in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations, HIPAA guidelines, corporate/departmental policies and procedures by accurately interpreting healthcare provider’s prescription orders, entering into the core pharmacy system; notifying the physician of any incomplete or incorrect prescription information; effectively performing the physician outreach process when appropriate (within the legal limits of the pharmacy technician authority).
- Assist the pharmacist in obtaining accurate verbal orders and obtain accurate missing prescription information from the healthcare provider. May manage the patient adherence process and schedule medication deliveries in accordance to Pharmacy Solutions guidelines.
- When needed, assist patients with treatment compliance by entering/updating current medications, allergies and medical conditions and triaging calls to Nursing and/or Pharmacists when necessary.
- Use internal and web tools to communicate with health insurance payors and providers to investigate benefits and transmit test claims (if applicable) to verify prescription coverage.
- Identifies and recommends process/system improvements that increase efficiency and productivity of pharmacy operations functional areas and communication of ideas with supervisors.
- Interact professionally and efficiently with other internal and external teams to assure accurate provision of services to the patient.
- Identify and collaborate with all necessary personnel to determine objectives; support changing business priorities by executing or overseeing completion of specific tasks to support patients, products, or services provided by Pharmacy Solutions. Examples included but not limited to, handling inbound/outbound calls, prioritization of work, organize and perform testing as business requires, and other tasks as designated by management.
- Maintain current Illinois Certified Pharmacy Technician licensure and CE requirements as necessary.
- Promote the AbbVie Way and influence positive culture.
- If applicable, check the pharmacist voicemail to take verbal orders. Additional responsibilities may be added as deemed necessary for the business management..
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. College or a 2-year Associate Degree is preferred.
- Individuals must meet applicable Pharmacy Technician Licensure and Certification requirements no later than first day of employment.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience within a Specialty Pharmacy or Retail/Mail Order Pharmacy, PBM, or healthcare provider setting; familiarity with medical record handling/documentation; prescription data entry; high quality customer service and inter-professional communication; strong core insurance (Medical and Pharmacy benefit) knowledge; knowledge of on-line verification systems or similar experience is preferred.
- Must have a strong attention to detail, ability to make high-quality decisions and operate under general supervision.
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and professionally with other healthcare professionals.
- Ability to express ideas clearly in written and oral communications preferred.
- Ability to complete individual tasks, have collaborative and cross-functional acumen, and have the ability to effectively manage time by adhering to deadlines required.
- Ability to work during business hours to meet business needs.
- Strong computer skills required including accurate data entry, including but not limited to Microsoft Word or Excel software applications.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.