Scientific Associate III - Protein Science
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
Allergan Aesthetics R&D, Biological Research is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Scientific Associate III, Protein Science. The successful candidate for this position will work independently and contribute expertise to projects aimed at generating protein-based therapeutics in a discovery research environment. He/she will perform molecular biology techniques (e.g., PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, restriction enzyme-based cloning, and ligase independent cloning (LIC)) to support the group’s protein engineering efforts. He/she will implement a variety of chromatography strategies (IMAC, IEX, SEC, HIC) to purify proteins with or without affinity tags. The candidate will utilize SDS-PAGE, Western blot, and ELISA to evaluate target proteins during and following purification. This individual will organize, analyze, and interpret results, and make project recommendations. The individual will also communicate and present their projects and results in team meetings and reports. The ideal candidate will be required to propose, design and execute cloning and purification strategies while demonstrating exceptional troubleshooting skills. Additional experience with protein/enzyme characterization including DLS/aggregation, HPLC (reverse phase/ size exclusion) and enzyme assays is beneficial, but not required.
The successful candidate will collaborate extensively with other Research Scientists and Associates, while taking personal responsibility for the success of assigned tasks and projects. Experimental design will be guided in consultation with management, but the candidate is expected to conduct experiments with substantial independence. The candidate is expected to participate in discussions and decisions regarding the design of experiments and with assistance can develop modified or new techniques for conducting experiments.
Furthermore, the position requires you to work with and in areas requiring select agents and Toxins access (i.e. Biosafety level 2 and biosafety level 3 laboratories). Access to and use of select agents is regulated by federal policies. Therefore, you must conduct all work activities in compliance with AbbVie internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements, and objectives.
- Independently conduct experiments of moderate complexity, designing the work plan so that reliable results are achieved in a timely manner.
- Plan experimental approaches with minimal supervisory guidance. Discuss, recommend, and modify experimental techniques as needed.
- Document and interpret results in order to reach conclusions, discuss with supervisor and decide on subsequent experiments.
- Management of laboratory supplies and equipment needed for research (ordering supplies, equipment maintenance, record keeping, and inventory).
- Develop and maintain up-to-date knowledge and skill base by reviewing the literature, attending seminars and meetings.
- Prepare technical reports, presentations, and appropriate documentation of work performed. Assist supervisor in maintaining project documentation.
- Attend and participate in lab, team and departmental meetings. Present data as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with 6 years, or Master’s degree with 2-3 years’ experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline with a focus in molecular cloning, heterologous protein expression, protein purification and characterization.
- Proven experience in molecular biology techniques (PCR, seamless cloning, restriction enzyme-based cloning, primer design)
- Hands-on experience with DNA sequencing (Applied Biosystems Genetic Analyzer 3500)
- Skilled in sequence design and analysis software (e.g., BLAST, SnapGene, Geneious Prime)
- Hands-on experience with AKTA FPLC purification systems
- Experience with protein/enzyme characterization including SDS-PAGE, western blots, ELISA’s
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.