Senior Scientist I
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative PhD. Scientist to join the AbbVie Drug Discovery Science & Technology organization. This individual will provide dedicated support to the Biologics Drug Biology group by planning and conducting in vitro and ex vivo studies to elucidate the biology of both novel targets and novel therapeutics approaches on age-related diseases and establishing antibody discovery screening assays. The successful candidate will be part of an exciting and fast-paced team working with cross-disciplinary groups both internally and externally to develop biochemical and cellular functional assays with a primary focus on biology of aging. The ideal candidate will be creative, goal oriented and prepared to be immersed in a fast-paced and innovative environment that offers the opportunity to work and publish.
The selected candidate will:
- Execute hands on scientific research involving screening of recombinant tool and therapeutic proteins, including antigens, antibodies and multi-specific biologics.
- Perform biochemical binding assays (such as ELISA, MSD, Western-blots or WES) to characterize biologics molecules.
- Design, develop, evaluate, and implement well-controlled functional biochemical or cellular assays to address target biology and drug biology.
- Perform molecular cloning and protein expression and purification in prokaryotic or eukaryotic host cells.
- Collaborate with the broader scientific team to design and execute experiments establishing the pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and safety profile of lead candidate molecules.
- Critically analyze and summarize experimental data from multiple sources and disciplines to generate the necessary data package supporting drug candidate development decisions.
- Engage colleagues in cross-disciplinary scientific discussion, present scientific data to internal and external audiences.
- Keep accurate electronic records of experiments and activities, timely report experimental results.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- PhD degree in biological sciences with 0-3+ years or Master degree with 8+ years of relevant experience in academic or biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting.
- Extensive biochemical and cell-based assay development experience with a variety of readout technologies including WB, qPCR, flow cytometry, ELISA, and immunofluorescence.
- Experience with different imaging techniques and image analysis is highly desirable.
- Prior experience with biotherapeutics is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of biology of aging and age-related diseases is a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary matrix team in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, desire to take on increasing responsibility over time.
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required.
- Strong record of performance and scientific accomplishments as demonstrated by impactful contributions to the scientific community, peer reviewed publications and/or patent applications.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.