Animal Care Tech V / IV
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Animal Care Technician V / IV provides exemplary animal care and adheres to all department and AbbVie regulatory expectations. Provides animal husbandry and oversight in support of the AbbVie drug discovery and development process.
- Maintains the vivarium and support areas through proper execution of assigned tasks. Directly performs the daily activities involved with cleaning and spraying cages, disinfecting and sanitizing equipment, and stocking supplies. Follows department procedures, to include but not be limited to: cage cleaning, room sanitation, equipment preparation and moving, and cage changes.
- Maintains daily husbandry tasks through proper execution of training materials and assigned tasks. Directly performs animal handling, carrying and holding animal cages and animals, using and moving carts, hoses or any other lab equipment and supplies.
- Follows department procedures to provide comprehensive observation and handling of various research animals. Assists with the receiving and housing of research animals; including preparing for the housing activity.
- Documents tasks in both written and electronic platforms in accordance with regulatory expectations. Documentation style must be neat, organized, and consistent with departmental standards.
- Maintains area of responsibility by practicing good observation skills and attention to detail. Physical dexterity, visual and auditory acuity, and sensitivity to changes in environmental conditions are utilized in daily task performance.
- Uses experience and training to make minor decisions to execute daily responsibilities to support animal care operations.
- Applies basic computer skills to maintain regulatory compliance and training to include but not limited to, email, calendar, and computer based training modules. Assists in the development of departmental documentation and training materials.
- Assures duties are completed accurately and in a timely manner not to impact pipeline activities and/or integrity of regulatory expectations.
- Provides basic technical husbandry training to new employees.
Education and Experience
- Animal Care Tech V requires a HS diploma
- Animal Care Tech IV requires a HS diploma and a minimum of one year of experience in a laboratory animal care facility OR an Associate’s Degree in a related field and no experience required
- AALAS certification at the ALAT level or above preferred
Abilities and Competencies:
- Willing and able to work a rotating schedule which includes some level of mandatory weekend coverage and holiday coverage.
- Problem-solving ability consisting of taking initiative to handle basic issues autonomously and working with team members for the more complex issues to support animal care operations.
- Good communication to relay issues to management.
- Problem-solving ability consisting of taking initiative to handle basic issues autonomously and working with team members for the more complex issues.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, consistently stand and walk for extended periods of time, to include walking and adhering to safety rules and expectations including but not limited to: grasping, squeezing, pushing, pulling, squatting, stooping, and bending.
- Ability to work in compliance with all local, federal, GLP, FDA, and USDA regulations. Works effectively and efficiently in a GLP environment.
- Good communication skills with both internal staff and those external of the department. Ability to maintain efficiency in the workplace and effective in a team environment. Mentors and coaches peers in performance of assigned tasks.
- Attention to detail to provide good animal welfare.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.