Scientist, Translational IHC
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com
We are seeking a Scientist to join our Translational sciences group as a part of our immunohistochemistry (IHC) team.
This role will support both early and late-stage projects through the immunohistological characterization of biodistribution and expression of gene therapy candidates. Encoded is developing cutting edge AAV-based gene therapies for pediatric disorders of the central nervous system. This scientist will work closely with Preclinical, Technology and Translational teams in a matrixed environment to design, perform, analyze and report on critical IHC-based experiments to support pipeline progression.
The ideal candidate will have experience with immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, RNA technologies, image analysis and tissue handling. The role involves experimental design, planning and execution skills. Other responsibilities include data analysis and presentation to a broader group. We are looking for motivated and creative individuals with leadership skills. It is critical that this individual is flexible and can work in a team setting to deliver complex technical studies.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively across functional teams to identify key experiments and provide technical experience for building new tissue-based IHC assays for preclinical and translational applications.
- Manage multiple research projects from start to finish and interpret data
- Conduct multiplexed immunohistochemistry (IHC) and immunofluorescence (IF) experiments on fresh frozen or FFPE tissue sections
- Drive design and method development for in situ RNA technology related assays
- Research new staining targets and understand the methodology needed to validate pertinent antibody staining
- Review scientific literature, synthesize and summarize information
- Responsible for data presentations to internal and external stakeholders and image panels for posters and publications
- May supervise junior team members and oversee analysis and delivery of data from CRO(s)
- Oversee and perform fluorescent and bright field whole slide microscopy
- Sample management and data organization in image databases, ELNs, biorepository systems and (plain old) Excel spreadsheets
- PhD degree in Neurosciences
- Cell-Biology or related discipline with 0-2 year(s) experience or a Bachelor of Science with 8 years, or Master’s degree with more than 6 years experience working in a pharmaceutical or biotech company.
- Experience with IHC and imaging is a must.
- Experience with cryosectioning and free floating section histochemistry
- Experience with image analysis and processing software is expected. Familiarity with software platforms such as Visiopharm, HALO or open source platforms such as ImageJ and Ilastik desired.
- Deep knowledge neurobiology and a desire to contribute to our mission of translating basic science and expertise into long-lasting benefit for patients
- Excellent scientific communication skills both verbal and written and strong presentation skills
- Ability to work in a fast-pace team environment and collaborate cross-functionally scientific colleagues to advocate for and implement all things microscopy, imaging and immunohistochemically related
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to organize, prioritize, manage workflows and work independently
- Experience with in situ assays, high content screening and various types of microscopy including confocal, 3D imaging, live cell imaging preferred
- Experience with a data analysis scripting language such as python, R, groovy, Matlab preferred
- Familiarity with IHC autostainers (i.e. Leica Bond or Roche Ventana) and histopathology
- Interest in developing/optimizing IHC-based methods or relevant methods for improved throughput, sensitivity or multiplexity
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.