Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Metabolic Drug Discovery
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the 2020 Best Places to Work in San Diego, is located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad. Ionis was founded in 1989 and was purposely designed to create a better, more efficient drug discovery platform, establish a new innovation-centered business model, and maximize the value of every medicine created and get it to the people who need it most as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
With the RNA molecule as the basis of our novel drug discovery platform, we are targeting an unprecedented range of therapeutic areas. Our antisense therapies are disrupting diseases and changing their course—from the rarest of conditions, to those that impact millions of people. We currently have three commercial products and more than 40 potentially transformative medicines in our pipeline designed to treat a broad range of diseases.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE/SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, METABOLIC DRUG DISCOVERY
- We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join our drug discovery research group as a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate. The selected candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers. The successful candidate will be an innovative thinker with the ability to work independently to conceptualize, design and meticulously carry out in vitro and in vivo assays. The position will involve research, development, optimization and troubleshooting of methods to characterize antisense oligonucleotides in cells and animals in different metabolic conditions. Specific work includes:
- Conceive, plan, and execute basic scientific experiments to further characterize the mechanism(s) of target modulation.
- Apply molecular and cell-based assays including but not limited to RNA purification, transfection, gene expression analysis (RT-qPCR & DGE), and fluorescence immunocytochemistry.
- B.S./M.S. degree in Biology or Biochemistry and 5 yrs (B.S.) or 3 yrs (M.S.) post-graduate experience engaged in bench research
- Extensive experience and demonstrated expertise in mammalian cell culture is essential.
- The candidate must have experience with primary (rodent) cell isolation and culture. Pertinent cell types include, but are not limited to, hepatocytes, stellate cells and macrophages.
- Proven hands-on experience with animal models of liver
- Strong molecular biology skills/biochemistry is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to be productive and successful in a very demanding and intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition #IONIS02575
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.