Post-Award Grants and Contracts Administrator or Senior Post-Award Grants and Contracts Administrato
The Gladstone Institutes seeks a Post-Award Grants and Contracts Administrator or Senior Post-Award Grants and Contracts Administrator to join its Grants and Contracts Department. Reporting to the Grants and Contracts Manager, this position provides direct support to a portfolio of Gladstone principal investigators in all aspects of post-award management. This is a full-time position that can be on-site in San Francisco or remote (U.S. West Coast business hours are required).
The incumbent is a trusted partner to their assigned principal investigators throughout the Grants and Contracts lifecycle and works cross-functionally with individual laboratories and administrative teams to provide excellent service and generate high-quality deliverables. The successful candidate will:
- Negotiate acceptable award terms;
- Assess and mitigate compliance and audit risks;
- Ensure timely set-up of awards in Gladstone's financial systems;
- Maintain grant/contract records in compliance with institute and sponsor policies;
- Process non-competing continuations, progress reports, supplements, subawards, research agreements, prior approval requests, no-cost extensions and all other award and agreement modifications as needed;
- Monitor project expenditures for compliance with applicable policy;
- Monitor spending against awards to ensure that projects are on-budget;
- Monitor overall laboratory expense, forecast investigator financial position given spending and staffing patterns, and work with investigators to identify remedial options, alternatives, and strategies, as appropriate;
- Maintain overall compliance with institute policies and procedures, sponsor requirements, terms and conditions, and federal regulations;
- Serve as a source of information on fiscal policies and procedures including federal funding regulations, and become an expert in specific policy areas according to the unique composition of each investigator's portfolio;
- Prepare payroll and effort adjustments and journal entries as appropriate;
- Process award closeout, including final financial reports;
- Perform ongoing subrecipient monitoring and review all incoming and outgoing subaward invoicing for compliance with applicable award terms, policy, and regulation;
- Participate in Gladstone's annual Single Audit (formerly known as the "A-133 Audit");
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The incumbent will work closely with their pre-award counterpart(s) as pending proposals transition to active awards. They may be called upon to assist with proposals during periods of high application volume (applicable training will be provided). This may include:
- Working with investigators to identify potential funding sources;
- Working with investigators and research staff to develop grant budgets and proposals, providing expert interpretation of sponsor regulations and requirements and ensuring all proposal components are in compliance;
- Submitting research proposals to sponsors after obtaining all necessary institutional approvals.
Research Administration at Gladstone is a fast-paced, relentlessly evolving , boundary-pushing enterprise. Our team members:
- Lead and truly own the sponsored research lifecycle for their assigned investigators, managing a high volume of work and competing deadlines with urgency, efficiency, compassion, and good judgement;
- Take pride in their impeccable attention to detail;
- Cultivate close and effective working relationships through excellent customer service, and by anticipating the needs of other individuals and teams at Gladstone;
- Are unafraid to chart a daily course through the unusual, the unforeseen and the uncertain;
- Are naturally resourceful, analytical, hungry to learn new tools and techniques, and driven to find and deliver solutions;
- Are curious and passionate about the scientific progress they actively support.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with 1-3 years of Workday Financials experience; Workday Payroll/HR experience additionally preferred.
- 1-3 years of NIH grants management experience. Experience with other sponsors who support biomedical research (DOD/USAMRAA, NSF, CIRM) a plus.
- Comfort working remotely and using tools to facilitate remote work, e.g., Zoom, Slack.
- Demonstrated pre-and post-award financial management experience, including proposal development and post-award management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, with particular regard to Excel formulas.
- Experience using electronic pre- and post-award systems such as Grants.gov Workspace, NIH ASSIST, and NSF Fastlane/Research.gov.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and excellent attention to detail are essential to this position.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.