VP, Vaccines Product Development
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Vice President of Vaccines Product Development (VPD) oversees a portfolio of bacterial and viral vaccine candidate development programs, reporting to the Vice President of Vaccines Research and Development. The role is to provide leadership, strategic direction and support to product development teams with interactions across research, CMC, project management, clinical, regulatory, quality, commercial and other cross-functional partners to ensure the vaccines portfolio meets critical milestones and objectives.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Acts as a member of the Vaccines Business Unit Portfolio Steering Committee and Research and Development Leadership Team with strategic responsibility for planning and execution of product development plans to ensure project success from discovery through licensure of product candidates
- Generate and execute strategic plans to connect vaccine development programs to enterprise, Vaccines Business Unit, research and development strategies
- Manages a group of Program Leads responsible for research and development of vaccine candidates leading to product licensure
- Drive innovation and urgency within development programs to expedite delivery of needed, competitive, compelling vaccines to patients and customers
- Ensures product development team effectiveness including setting expectations and providing coaching and feedback to Program Leads
- Manages complexities of advanced product development and cross-functional teams with matrix structure by demonstrating strong use of core competencies with a focus on building cohesive and high performing teams, fostering resourcefulness, and engaging in healthy conflict.
- Ensures efficient cooperation, coordination and integration between internal R&D functions, cross-functional partners and external collaborator and government partners
- Represents scientific and strategic elements of the development programs to internal senior leadership and external clients
- Business Operations:
- Provides budget oversight, scientific expertise, resource plans, and performance support for the research & development function, and in particular the product development team. Planning and costing of projects along effective timelines derived to achieve critical go-no-go decisions during product development
- Works with Program Leaders to plan and execute development programs to ensure milestones are met according to specified timelines, budgets, quality and resources, working in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders including project teams, research organizations, regulatory authorities and other stakeholders
- Supports the company’s vision and policies regarding Health & Safety, Corporate Culture, Environmental Management, and Emergent’s Core Values by displaying the appropriate behaviors and leadership towards meeting the company’s objectives in these areas
- Ensures research and development activities are conducted in accordance with Emergent, federal regulations and sponsoring agency policies and procedures
- Contributes to culture of operational excellence across the organization and support innovation initiatives for process improvements, cost savings and value creation
- Drives vision and purpose
- Identifies, establishes, communicates and executes a clear, strategic direction for development of vaccine pipeline candidates
- Delivers on the organization’s strategy, goals, and business transformation initiatives
- Cultivates innovation
- Tracks future developmental, regulatory and clinical trends relevant to vaccine product development efforts
- Drives break-through thinking and encourages diversity and healthy conflict to drive innovation through all levels of product development teams
- Identifies and champions novel technologies, diverse approaches, customer needs and scientific advances to bring highly differentiated products to the market in an expedited manner
- Balances Stakeholders
- Clearly communicates, facilitates open dialogue and skillfully negotiates with colleagues at all levels of the organization to gain commitment and achieve shared goals
- Seeks common ground and acceptable alternatives that satisfy the need of multiple, varied stakeholders
- Builds effective teams and develops talent
- Recognizes and encourages team members expertise, diversity of experience and background to drive individual and team success
- Identifies strong talent and develops others through mentoring, coaching, and assignment of development opportunities
- The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- Advanced degree and technical knowledge in drug discovery related field including Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M or Pharm. D; >15 years industry experience in pharmaceutical companies or biotech companies is preferred.
- Proven track record of innovation including peer-reviewed publications and/or patents.
- Demonstrable expertise relating to all aspects of the drug development process and the ability to identify and resolve complex methodological issues relating to programs.
- Good knowledge of GLP, GCP, GMP, and other regulatory requirements (especially FDA, HC, and EMEA).
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to set a vision, to lead change, and to lead/mentor others.
- Strong management skills including performance management, planning, prioritization, objective setting and plan execution. Ability to organize, structure and staff an organization in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, influence, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of cultures and disciplines.
- Forward thinker with the ability to identify, synthesize and act upon strategic information and changes within the environment while managing multiple projects efficiently.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.