GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
The Accessioning Manager is responsible for the supervision of personnel and the overall operations of the Accessioning department including, but not limited to, specimen kit receipt process, order processing, sample processing, material return and management of associated documents and records.
The Accessioning Manager coordinates the pre-analytical sample processing activities, he or she will participate in these activities and troubleshoot sample, process or system issues as needed. The Manager will also participate in the development and administration of policies and procedures, contribute to continuous process improvement to ensure consistent, high quality processes, and standard methodologies established within Laboratory Operations! He or she will support or participate in internal and external audits and quality management activities to ensure laboratory compliance with the applicable quality standards and regulatory requirements. The high complexity nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
The Accessioning Manager must also act as a liaison between the laboratory staff and the Technology Development, Process Engineering, Bioinformatics, Software and Materials Management groups. As such, the Manager must exhibit leadership skills such as good judgment, sound analysis and decision making, the ability to remain professional and composed under pressure, effective interpersonal relationships and the ability to optimally communicate across all levels of the laboratory and across departments.
The Accessioning Manager will also be involved with scheduling, troubleshooting technical and non-technical problems, coaching and mentoring the laboratory staff, building effective teams, leading projects and meeting project results, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals! Given the wide variety of tasks involved in this position, the Manager must demonstrate the ability to analyze issues and make sound decisions in a timely manner, dedication to helping and motivating employees, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly, and ethically, outstanding organizational skills, the ability to respond to change with flexibility and to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances, and excellent communication including utilizing various communication channels (team meetings, one on one etc.), proactively presenting team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and presenting changes, issues, and challenges in all directions of the organization.
• Perform regular lab assistant accessioning duties and streamlining accessioning operations to assist the team with processing patient samples and ensure efficient sample flow
• Follow the laboratory's procedures for pre-analytical specimen handling and processing while participating in the continuous quality-improvement processesCollaborate frequently with the analytical lab team to ensure appropriate flow of samples from accessioning into the analytical lab
• Implement the laboratory's quality control policies and work with the Laboratory Supervisor, the Technical Supervisor on the laboratory's quality control and quality assurance procedures, technical and non-technical troubleshooting and improvement procedures, and training and education programs
• Ensure proper documentation of quality control activities and maintenance are performedProvide direct and constant guidance and supervision for clinical laboratory and client services associates to ensure accurate and efficient sample flow and to ensure that related tasks are completed
• Interact and connect with laboratory and non-laboratory staff to maintain a streamlined workflow
• Identify problems that may adversely affect accurate and efficient sample processing and either correcting the problems or immediately advising the analytical laboratory supervisor or manager
• Track client issues, documenting metrics, and communicating these findings with appropriate partners from necessary teamsLead stability study, validation protocols, and other process improvement and new assay projects
• Ability to manage individual performance and deliver appropriate feedback when necessaryDrive a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement among team members that aligns with GRAIL's values and mission
• Write and review standard operating proceduresPossess a working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
Your Background Will Include:
• Bachelor of Arts or Science
• At least 5 years of clinical laboratory experience or equivalent
• Proven understanding of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
• Supervisory experience desired
• Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
• Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional mannerAble to prioritize and aim to results with a high emphasis on quality
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to analyze and problem solve sophisticated issues that impact test performance
• Strong analysis and problem-solving skills
• Strong technical skills and job and industry knowledge
• Strong project management abilities
• Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly
• Strong automation and computing skillsHigh volume laboratory experience preferred
• Training in molecular biology techniques preferred
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
• Hours and days may vary depending on operational needs
• Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary and may include weekends and holidays
• May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation (Generally laboratory and customer service employees only)
• Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary
• Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) may be necessary
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
GRAIL, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries ("GRAIL") does not accept any liability for fees for resumes from recruiters or employment agencies ("Agency"), without a binding, written recruitment agreement between GRAIL and Agency describing the services and specific job openings ("Agreement"). GRAIL may consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume and explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the Agency, unless an Agreement is in place. Any email or verbal contacts with any person within GRAIL is inadequate to create a binding agreement. Agencies without an Agreement are requested not to contact any hiring managers of GRAIL with recruiting inquiries or resumes. Agencies interested in partnering with GRAIL may contact GRAIL's HR Department through our Customer Service team .