Sr Mechanical Engineer
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The SR Mechanical Engineer is primarily responsible for the oversight and troubleshooting support of mechanical and utility systems in the Lansing facility. These systems can include HVAC, Cold Room/Freezers and Clean/Black utilities. They would also be responsible for supporting Capital Project teams with design reviews and providing inputs with equipment selection based on performance requirements. The Engineer will serve as a lead for engineering operations, facilitating collaboration between facilities, manufacturing, automation, quality assurance, validation and project engineering. This individual will work closely with a cross-functional team to meet the needs of the groups they support.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Responsible for providing support for existing and new systems. Review and make recommendations to management for utility equipment replacement and/or reliability upgrades as part of the life cycle improvement process and continuous improvement initiative planning.
• Responsible for providing engineering expertise to support the design reviews, installation, commissioning, validation and operation of mechanical systems.
• Responsible for cGMP facility design and improvement projects (Cleanrooms, Labs, ISO classes, HVAC, Refrigeration, Freezers, Environmental rooms, etc). Play an essential leadership role in the operation and troubleshooting of the utility and HVAC systems.
• Serve as the subject matter expert. Provides technical expertise for all phases associated with utility/facility systems.
• Perform regular field walk-through tours and inspections and initiate any procedures necessary to resolve problems.
• Support the planning and execution of activities by working in cross-functional teams. Assist in driving projects to completion to meet timeline and budget objectives.
• Continuously stay current with assigned SOPs and keep an up to date training file ensuring compliance with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
• Collect, analyze and report data for use by the Facilities and Finance departments to ensure reliable, cost effective operation. Periodically review and assist with Building Air Balance Testing.
• Responsible for change controls, CAPAs, risk assessments, Safety and support of Regulatory Agency Audits.
• Provide guidance for support personnel and helps drive development of PM programs.
• Prepares User Requirements Specifications (URS), Risk Assessments, Safety Assessments associated with the utilities and HVAC systems.
• Participate in validation activities including review of IQ/OQ protocols, executions and summary reports. Lead commissioning efforts to ensure validations are successful.
• Participate in the development and implementation of procedural Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), technical specifications (Design/Functional/System) and updating P&IDs.
• Manage small-scale capital projects, creating scope of work, justification, cost estimates and implementing purchase order requisitions.
• Provide support to the Capital Projects Team assisting with equipment submittal reviews, MEP specification and drawing reviews, FAT’s/SAT’s, turnover package reviews ensuring that the documentation is accurate and complete and meets specifications.
• Coordinate with site departments to schedule utility system shutdowns, tie-ins and system startup.
• Assist with developing predictive and preventative maintenance program for utility and HVAC systems.
• Demonstrate continuous improvement with respect to increasing job knowledge and proficiency related to engineering in the biopharmaceutical industry, as well as technical understanding/problem solving capability.
• Completes any other duties/responsibilities assigned by senior management
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred or B.S. degree in an Engineering related field, with 8+ years of experience in an engineering role in support of a large industrial, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or FDA regulated facility.
• Experience with architectural, MEP and P&ID drawings preferably in the pharmaceutical industry.
• Be knowledgeable with respect to HVAC systems (air handling units, return fans, exhaust fans, air terminal devices, diffusers, grilles, refrigeration cycles and other air moving processes).
• Must have experience with executing test protocols for Freezer Coolers, Incubators, Clean Room Environments and HVAC Equipment in a FDA Regulated Environments.
• Knowledge of biopharmaceutical process operation and process control, clean utility and mechanical systems (pumps, valves, materials) as foundation for troubleshooting, design and equipment evaluation.
• Knowledge of clean room design/requirements. Working knowledge of pharmaceutical process sanitary connections, valves and supply loops.
• Working knowledge of Process Control and Instrumentation for facility control systems. Basic knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLCs), instrumentation (e.g., flow, pressure, temperature, level) and controls is required.
• Must possess basic knowledge of core principles in various engineering disciplines (fluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermodynamics etc.)
• Knowledge & experience in the design, implementation, operations and maintenance of clean utility systems, as well as working in a regulated environment (FDA, cGMP, OSHA).
• Strong knowledge of industry standards and guidelines such as ASME BPE, ISPE Baseline Guides, ISO standards and CFR’s.
• Experience with Quality Management and Change Control Systems.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.