Preclinical Director - Translational ADME
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.Preclinical Director - Translational ADMELive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. Amgen is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the Pharmacokinetics & Drug Metabolism (PKDM) department at our site in South San Francisco, California. Amgen strives to serve patients by transforming the promise of science and biotechnology into therapies that have the power to restore health and save lives. Our culture encourages open dialogues and diverse views to create and innovate ideas to solve the critical issues in drug discovery and development.
The department of pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism (PKDM) within Amgen is dedicated to the discovery and development of novel effective, safe medicines. The successful candidate will work in a team environment to characterize the absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and pharmacokinetic (ADME) properties of therapeutic drug candidates to achieve their full pharmacological potential. PKDM works in close partnership with disciplines such as medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, pharmaceutical sciences, clinical pharmacology and regulatory to design promising clinical therapeutic candidates, conduct preclinical development studies, support clinical evaluation and contribute to IND and NDA filings.In this role, your core responsibilities are to:
- Drive the progression of discovery and development project teams
- Lead PKDM efforts for IND and NDA/BLA filings
- Lead development of scientific strategy across PKDM initiatives
- Work closely with business development groups to evaluate external opportunities
- Develop and mentor staff
- Build close relationships with partner functions and therapeutic areas
- Experience working in cross-functional groups to develop both in vitro (e.g. cell-based models), and in vivo models to test the efficacy of new chemical entities
- Evaluate and implement novel technologies to aid in the translation of preclinical animal models into humans
- Strong background in understanding ADME properties across modalities, and knowledge in the development of IVIVC relationships
In addition to the core responsibilities, the position provides the opportunity to pursue scientific inquiries into the fundamental physiological and biochemical factors that determine the absorption, distribution, and clearance of protein and other emerging therapeutics. A collaborative and highly capable scientific community at Amgen is available to support these efforts. Interactions and collaboration with academic and other external scientists are highly encouraged.Win
What we expect of youBasic Qualifications
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Scientific experience
Masters degree and 7 years of Scientific experience
Bachelors degree and 9 years of Scientific experienceAnd
4 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resourcesPreferred Qualifications
- PhD or MS in chemistry, biochemistry, or equivalent
- The ideal candidate will have a proven track record with regulatory submissions, experience integrating PK/PD and modeling and simulation, familiarity with multiple therapeutic modalities, and strong external eminence (publications)
- This role requires an excellent understanding of preclinical ADME and the factors influencing drug disposition, as well as an individual that can work collaboratively in a highly matrixed environment
At Amgen, our mission is serving patients. Our staff are dedicated to pushing the boundaries of science to transform medicine and turn the tide on serious illnesses. Central to achieving this mission is our people-first philosophy. We recruit the best talent, build an environment that facilitates career growth, and provide staff with the opportunity to make significant contributions for patients and our business.
Consistent with our core leadership value of Develops the Best Team, we are seeking leaders that prioritize the development of talent. As a manager, your first priority and primary role is to accelerate the performance and development of your team. We expect managers to exemplify strong leadership and champion self-awareness and career development Ways that you will display your leadership acumen in this role include:
- Mentoring, coaching, and developing staff to build highly-skilled, diverse, and inclusive teams
- Fostering a positive and respectful work environment that encourages staff retention and motivates individuals to work toward common goals and priorities
- Ensuring that staff understand how their efforts and contributions make a meaningful impact to the business
- Growing core skills and capabilities among staff, particularly in learning agility, problem solving, strategic and creative thinking, flexibility, resilience, effective communication, prioritization, delivery of results, and continuous improvement
- Making accurate evaluations of your team's skills and competencies and providing timely and respectful feedback, including direct delivery of difficult messages
- Developing an understanding of your team's career objectives and serve as a thought-partner in their career development plans
- Assisting staff with preparing for roles of growing responsibility and identifying new opportunities that expand their skills and align with their overall career objectives
- Resolving critical gaps in the organizations internal capabilities and skill sets, including strategic external recruiting
- Identifying diverse, qualified successors for key positions
- Ensuring that direct reports who also lead people consistently demonstrate these same behaviors with their staff
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.