Associate Medical Director, Physician Development Program - Neurology :Neurodegenerative &
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Physicians Development Program develops and supports high-potential specialist physician talent in transitioning to a career in industry and in becoming well-rounded R&D physicians who have the enterprise mindset sought in future R&D leaders. It is a two-year rotational leadership development program that enables physicians to gain experience in 5 different areas: Clinical Pharmacology, Medical Affairs, Clinical Development, Regulatory Affairs and Pharmacovigilance and Patient Safety. With supervision, each Physician Development Program member participates in cross-functional teams to generate, deliver, and interpret high-quality clinical data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy. Provides scientific and technical support for assigned products; delivers scientific presentations; develops and maintains professional and credible relationships with key opinion leaders.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- With appropriate supervision, manages the design and implementation of study protocols for a development program in support of the overall Product Development Plan, based on strong medical and scientific principles, knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, AbbVie’s customers, markets, business operations, and emerging issues. Oversees project-related education of investigators, study site personnel, and AbbVie study staff.
- Has responsibility for oversight of clinical studies, monitoring overall study integrity, review, interpretation and communication of accumulating data pertaining to safety and efficacy of the molecule. Along with Clinical Operations, is responsible for oversight of study enrollment and overall timelines for key deliverables.
- Participation in design and execution of clinical trial safety, product safety and risk management plans. Responsible for routine and adhoc safety monitoring reports to regulatory agencies. May review, assess and report applicable Adverse Events (AE’s) and Serious Adverse Events (SAE’s) if assigned to AbbVie conduct on clinical studies.
- Contributes to design, analysis, interpretation, and reporting of scientific content of protocols, Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study Reports, regulatory submissions and responses, and other program documents.
- May interact with and coordinate appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e. commercial, clinical operations, discovery, statistics, regulatory, etc…) as they relate to ongoing medical affairs projects. May assist as consultant/liaison with other corporations when working under licensing agreements and/or in the evaluation of new business development opportunities.
- May assist in scientific/medical education of investigators, clinical monitors, and Asset Development Team members related to therapeutic area or disease specific information. Keeps abreast of professional information and technology through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a therapeutic area resource.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and accountable for complying with those requirements.
- May represent the medical function on cross-functional integrated teams for medical affairs activities. May represent AbbVie at external meetings including investigator meetings, scientific association meetings, etc.
- May assist in the development of scientifically accurate marketing materials, medical education programs, advisories, and symposia. May assist with the scientific review, development, execution and communication of affiliate/area/global medical affairs sponsored or supported clinical research activities.
- Exercises judgment within well-defined practices and policies. Typically does not supervise employees but must be able to influence in a matrixed environment. Works with some supervision and guidance.
- Medical Doctor (M.D.), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) or international equivalent medical degree that meets U.S. certification standards
- Completion of U.S. residency training
- U.S. board eligibility or certification (U.S. State or Commonwealth licensure)
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Medical specialty training in any of the following or related therapeutic areas: Gastroenterology Fellowship training, associated with clinical research
- Additional healthcare/research academic degrees, including PhD or MPH
- A commitment to pursuing a career in clinical research
- Experience publishing research
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong verbal/written communication skills
- Effective presentations skills
- Demonstrates critical thought processes and analytical skills
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.