Associate Scientific Director - Hematology/Oncology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
With appropriate supervision, the Associate Scientific Director manages the design and implementation of study protocols for a clinical development program in support of the overall Product Development Plan, based on strong medical and scientific principles, knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, AbbVie’s customers, markets, business operations and emerging issues. This individual oversees project-related education of investigators, study site personnel and AbbVie study staff.
In addition, the Associate Scientific Director has responsibility for review, interpretation, and communication of accumulating data pertaining to safety and efficacy of the molecule. Along with Clinical Operations, this role may be responsible for oversight of study enrollment and overall timelines for key deliverables.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the design, analysis, interpretation and reporting of scientific content of protocols, Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study Reports, regulatory submissions and responses and other program documents.
- May be asked to contribute to the development of a rigorous, cross-functionally-aligned, vetted Clinical Development Plan in collaboration with matrix team members.
- Participate in opinion leader interactions related to the disease area(s); partners with Medical Affairs, Commercial and other functions in these activities as required, consistent with corporate policies.
- Stays abreast of professional information and technology through conferences, medical literature and other available training, to augment expertise in the therapeutic area.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. May be asked to contribute to regulatory responses and discussions.
- Ensures adherence to Good Clinical Practices, pharmacovigilance standards, standard operating procedures and to all other quality standards in conducting research.
- Bachelors degree in the sciences; advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD) preferred.
- Ability to provide input and direction to clinical research with appropriate supervision.
- Strong desire to collaborate in a cross-functional setting.
- Clinical trial experience in the pharmaceutical industry, academia, or equivalent is preferred.
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing clinical trials and experience in the design of study protocols is desirable.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support global scientific and business strategy.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.