Senior Scientist I, Protein Engineering and Expression
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Global Protein Sciences (GPS) Group is seeking a Senior Scientist with strong scientific and leadership experience to join its Protein Engineering and Expression (PE&E) group. As an integral member of the PE&E team this individual will work collaboratively to drive the discovery and engineering of innovative biologic-based therapies to advance AbbVie Biologics pipeline. The candidate will be a highly motivated scientist with an established track record in biochemistry and molecular biology. Expertise in molecular modeling and protein design is highly desired. The successful candidate will be expected to work with other scientists in GPS, across functions and different therapeutic areas (Virology, Neurosciences, Immunology and Oncology) to discover and develop next generation biologics through interrogation and engineering of protein attributes. The candidate will need to have a proven ability to manage internal and external collaborations as well as excellent verbal and written skills and the ability to clearly present scientific concepts and results for scientific and non-scientific leaders.
- PhD in Molecular/Cell biology/Biochemistry or related field with 0-3+ years experience
- Demonstrated success with Protein Engineering efforts
- Experience with protein expression and purification
- Strong molecular biology skills
- Experience with in vitro analytical techniques for protein characterization (e.g., SDS-PAGE, SEC, DLS)
- Familiarity with sequence analysis tools (Vector NTI, Geneious, Sequencher) and graphing software (GraphPad Prism)
- Experience with molecular modeling and protein design using computational tools (Schrodinger Maestro, CCG MOE)
- Demonstrate leadership by advising and sharing knowledge and expert opinions with peers and senior management
- Willingness to engage internal and external scientific leaders in collaborative research
- Contribute to research that leads to peer-reviewed publications, reports, and external presentations
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to work within a team environment.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.