Director, Technology Operations & Strategy
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
Allergan Data Labs is on a mission to transform the Allergan Aesthetics beauty business at Abbvie, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Our iconic brands include Botox, CoolSculpting, Juvéderm and more. The medical aesthetics business is ripe for rapid growth and disruption, and we are looking for an experienced Director, Technology Operations & Strategy to add to our high performing team to do just that.
Our team has successfully launched a new and innovative technology platform, Allē, which serves millions of consumers, tens of thousands of aesthetics providers and thousands of colleagues throughout the US. Since its launch in November 2020, Allē has delivered curated promotions, personalized experiences and had millions of consumers use it as part of their beauty journey. Now, we are looking for an experienced operator to build crisp infrastructure and procedures around our tech focused teams as we prepare to launch a new array of game-changing technologies on our successfully adopted platform.
We’re looking for candidates who are interested in working within a startup-oriented environment, while having the backing of a very large company. If that’s you, please read on.
As the Director, Technology Operations & Strategy, you will report to the Associate Vice President, Product, Engineering & Data, as well as continuously collaborate with key stakeholders across the business to solve the most important technical problems.
- Occupy the Chief of Staff role for one half of Allergan Data Labs, our growing technology team of Software Engineers, Product Managers, Data Scientists, UX Designers and more.
- Facilitate resource planning discussions amongst our technology leadership team ensuring we’re well prepared in advance of upcoming needs.
- Take ownership of the budget and expenses of our team producing financial tracking and projections informing things like runway and burn-rate.
- Hire and manage a team of 1 to 2 individuals who will assist with administrative functions, such as contracts, purchase orders, invoices, expenses, hardware orders, team communications and more.
- Define our hiring and onboarding procedures, assisting with documentation and execution of how we interview, how we extend offers and the employee onboarding journey from day 1 to day 90.
- Lead career growth programs that account for both hard-skill and cultural development and give our entire team complete transparency as to what achievements can assist with upward or lateral progression.
- Structure an employee review program for both full-time and contractor employees so as to ensure a culture of informative feedback, clear expectations and limited surprises.
- Manage and track all vendor relationships including contracts, rules of engagement, payments and more.
- Work with our AbbVie partners in procurement, legal, privacy, security and more to define standard procedures for vendor evaluation and contract negotiations. After definition you will help shepherd new vendor engagements through the established process.
- Ensure team preparedness for key recurring meetings, such as our weekly tech leadership meeting, monthly product priorities meeting and our quarterly product and engineering summits.
- Spend about 80% of your time focused on operations and about 20% of your time developing strategy in an advisory role to technology leadership and others.
- Build out a hub-and-spoke operating model and strategy for expanding our technology platform, Allē, into international markets.
- Build a research function servicing the need for our Product Managers, Designers and Engineers to easily speak with and garner feedback from our aesthetic providers and consumers.
- Build infrastructure to receive, track, route and deliver on inquiries from Customer Experience, Sales, Business Technology, Finance, Audit, InfoSec and others.
- Promote an operating culture of simplicity and predictability. Your intuition tells you when a process is too complex and when to encourage others to keep things simple.
Required Experience & Skills
- You’ve worked in a COO, Head of Operations, Chief of Staff or similar role in the past and are equipped with the hard skills, strategic intellect and warmth to impact stability and efficiency.
- You’ve worked at a well-funded technology startup, agency or formidable consultancy firm providing guidance for rapidly scaling teams.
- Past experience organizing Agile teams functioning within matrix or Spotify model (squads, tribes, chapters, guilds) organizations.
- An ownership mentality where regardless of title you think, operate and strategize as a co-founder.
- Skilled at refactoring complex operations, both existing and proposed, into light-weight form. You know how to optimize for ~90% of use cases letting feedback guide further iteration.
- Familiarity with our productivity toolset which includes Slack, Jira, Confluence, Miro, Google Workspace, MS Teams and Outlook.
- Understanding of the software development space and lifecycle is highly preferred.
- Experience in scaling technology operations internationally is a bonus.
Our Core Values
- Be Humble: You’re smart yet always interested in learning from others.
- Work Transparently: You always deal in an honest, direct and transparent way.
- Take Ownership: You embrace responsibility and find joy in having the answers.
- Learn More: Through blog posts, newsletters, podcasts, video tutorials and meetups you regularly self-educate and improve your skill set.
- Show Gratitude: You show appreciation and return kindness to those you work with.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401k with up to 8% company match
- Unlimited PTO
- Entire week off for the holidays
- MacBook Pro and accompanying equipment to do great work
- Attend a tech or marketing conference of your choice each year
- On-campus restaurant and amenities
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.