HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
What you will do
As Director, Comparative Medicine, the incumbent will have responsibility for Amgens research animal care and use programs with responsibilities for the welfare of all animals internal to Amgen. The incumbent is responsible for advancing scientific principles in line with the 3Rs, to enable human drug discovery and development.
This Director level position in Translational Safety & Bioanalytical Sciences (TS&BA) will be primarily based in Amgens Thousand Oaks location with cross-site and cross-functional interactions. Reports directly to the Executive Director, Comparative Medicine, a functional unit of TS&BA.
- Cross site responsibility for Amgens research animal care and use programs with responsibilities for the welfare of all animals at vivaria owned and operated by Amgen.
- Serves as the Attending Veterinarian for Amgens IACUC, working closely with the veterinary staff, therapeutic area scientists and IACUC staff to ensure the highest standards of animal welfare to support the Amgen pipeline.
- Responsible for full regulatory compliance and accreditation ensuring all reports, inspections and regulatory interactions are handled appropriately.
- Influences the internal and external environment in support of ethical and humane animals in research.
- The Director supports hiring, retaining, training and developing a diverse population of colleagues; ensures the recruitment and professional development of staff to support the functions objectives and future growth; and manages performance including provision of training opportunities, coaching, and evaluation.
What we expect of youQualifications, experience and competencies:
- D.V.M/ V.M.D. from an AVMA accredited college and ACLAM Diplomat required; additional research degree (MS, PhD) is preferred.
- 10+ years experience in leadership roles, preferably in pharmaceutical industry R&D, with detailed knowledge of the drug discovery process and the practice of laboratory animal medicine and care in the pharmaceutical industry.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant regional regulatory requirements for working with research animals
- Proven ability to lead a complex and highly regulated scientific and technical organization and to partner collaboratively with key cross-functional stakeholders. Has proven leadership capabilities, able to design and lead an organization that contributes successfully to the delivery of the Amgen pipeline.
- A proven people and organizational leader that demonstrates Amgen values and leadership attributes and ensures the organization is diverse, inclusive and belonging in culture
- Actively coaches and develops junior talent and teams.
- Scientific and innovative thinker who demonstrates fresh, insightful thinking by developing creative approaches to processes and practices, products and solutions, business models and strategies.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.