Vice President, US Brand Marketing
Imagine\u2026 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives. This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapies are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
The Vice President, US Brand Marketing, is responsible for developing the therapeutic, disease area, and product marketing strategy for Novartis Gene Therapies replacement therapy technology platform and for the successful launches of these medicines to make a meaningful difference to patients. It is anticipated that there will be 2 - 5 gene therapy programs in the clinic each year via in-house development or BD efforts.
- Leads and oversees the execution of US brand strategy.
- Brand strategy, pre-launch/launch preparation and delivery of all tools and tactics to prepare for, drive in-market success, and maximize brand value across all customer groups in the United States.
- Provides effective and inspirational leadership across their direct team as well as cross-functional teams.
- Accountable for both commercialized products and later-stage pipeline assets.
- Accountable for the success of the product portfolio in the United States.
- Leads US marketing function through continued development of appropriate organizational structure to support label expansions and future assets, hiring and development of talent to support the continued evolution of the US brand.
- Continued innovation and support of product in the US and development of a US strategy for IT inclusive of pre-market readiness and definition of key milestones with a sense of urgency.
- US strategic execution of an integrated product strategy for the product and pipeline assets as they transition from new products.
- Development and delivery of all commercial deliverables in the US.
- Align across portfolio to ensuring maximization of all Novartis Gene Therapies assets and leverage synergies where possible.
- Fosters regular best practice sharing in the US to support fast and broad dissemination of key insights, learnings and innovation.
- Builds and fosters relationships with the top-tier US key opinion leaders/experts, patient advocacy groups, and policy-making organizations groups.
- Ensures milestone-gated market and product preparation plans are outlined and executed, including epidemiology, burden of disease, diagnosis journey including newborn screening, if appropriate, IP, formulation, packaging, naming, and positioning.
- Developing quarterly update for key external stakeholders, inclusive of Investor Relations, asset narrative, performance updates and key Q&As.
- Proactively identifies and manages potential risks and opportunities for brands, including development and execution of post-launch strategies.
- Maintains industry awareness regarding market trends, competition, product acceptance, and new product releases.
- Develops, monitors and controls brand budgets and forecasts, and assesses the marketing mix of the brand to evaluate cost effectiveness and results. Estimate resourcing needs for the function and operate within approved budgets.
- Leads and partners closely with all key functions to develop and execute an integrated product strategy.
- Provides commercial input to ensure successful product registration (incl. label), reimbursement and listing/access.
- Strategic partner to clinical trials, medical affairs and risk management plans.
- Leads US issue management with cross-functional partners; driving US press releases, standby-statements and Q&As together with communication partners.
- Conducts regular feedback loops with key stakeholders to enhance collaboration and alignment.
- Financial performance metrics, US sales and demand trends and competitive share of voice and business; sales and market share.
- KPIs from key partners depending on key global tactics (e.g. brand adoption, ATUs, concept testing, message testing, key account penetration, competition uptake, pricing achievements).
- Hires, leads and develops a US Marketing team and instill a culture of "one team mindset across all the functions".
- Establishes a collaborative and productive way of working with all cross-functional team members to break down silos and ensure consistency of execution of brand strategy.
- Operates with ethics and integrity and set up a system that ensures compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
- Leads talent management and development, looking for ways to increase marketing capabilities.
- Performance management/employee relations (feedback, surveys, associate development) and talent management (including identification, attraction, acquisition, development and retention).
- Other relates duties as assigned.
- University degree in Science and/or degree in Business (preferred) with 15 years' operational and US marketing experience including customer facing/sales experience.
- Extensive experience in leading diverse and cross-functional teams directly and indirectly.
- Enterprise mindset.
- Solid understanding of key market insights including understanding the needs of all customer segments to ensure success.
- Digitally savvy with an innovative spirit and experience in developing novel initiatives to reflect market needs.
- Strong involvement in multiple product launches and extensive experience in lifecycle management - clinical development to commercialization in the US.
- Prior experience in specialty areas such as rare diseases, cell and gene therapy, and/or oncology and prior experience in a small, rapidly growing company are both preferred.
- Prior franchise/product/country P&L responsibility and responsibility for the execution of integrated US commercialization strategy.
- Experience in operating and understanding of U.S. market and ability to work across different market conditions.
- Strategic thinker who can connect the dots across functions and find practical solutions.
- Executive presence; effectively represent the organization internally and externally.
- Entrepreneurial, decisive, and have the tenacity to "make things happen."
- Travel is estimated to be 40-50% domestically.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.