Associate Director, Precision Medicine Pathology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
AbbVie is currently offering a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Associate Director in the Precision Medicine Pathology Group. Precision Medicine Pathology supports projects from discovery through CDx assay development. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to work within the Precision Medicine Pathology Group to guide the design and implementation of tissue-based assays to support the development and commercialization of medically-differentiated therapies in oncology. This position will also provide expert scientific advice related to next generation tissue-based assay development in the areas of multiplexing, image analysis, and spatial profiling and act as a key resource for implementation of these novel technologies both internally and through external collaborations. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a highly collaborative environment and will participate as a member of multidisciplinary, cross-functional development project teams.
- Designs, validates, and implements novel tissue-based diagnostic assays for individual projects and/or therapeutic areas with a key responsibility to ensure delivery of highly specific and robust assays to meet project timelines
- Supports the general pathology needs of project teams through the effective design and execution of hypothesis-driven studies utilizing tissue based assays
- Acts as a subject matter expert and key resource for the evaluation and implementation of next generation tissue-based assay technologies, including multiplexing, image analysis, and spatial profiling
Desired Skills and Experience:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Cancer Biology, Cell Biology or a related field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a pharmaceutical, diagnostic or biotech environment or Master’s Degree with 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong, hands-on experience with development of immunohistochemistry (IHC) and other tissue-based assays including immunofluorescence (IF) multiplexing and in situ hybridization (ISH)
- Close familiarity with the principles of tissue microscopic anatomy/histology including knowledge of pathological alterations in disease and experience working in collaboration with trained pathologists is preferred
- Strong familiarity with bioinformatics tools for sequence analysis/alignment, and high content data analysis
- Experience with the discovery, characterization, validation and utilization of biomarkers and diagnostic assays
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required including the demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly summarize results for presentation and report generation
- Must be able to multi-task and work effectively within a team environment
Strong motivation, attention to detail, ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.